Author Topic: Trooping  (Read 738 times)

Offline VFCBaxter

• Zinc Member
      • Virtual Flying Corps
Trooping
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
I love this game and fly it at least a couple of times a week.  :aok

Got myself all psyched up yesterday to be a bit more useful in the dog fighting department flying with the AKUAG boys. I did some reading so when I joined the game I picked an N1K2 rather than my usual clown tail, only to hear that we should grab a bomber or C47 and go base grabbing! Quite frankly being an ex FA'er I has less of a clue than normal except I knew that the drop had to be above 800 feet. What is the map room? Is that the same as the tower? I found that it was almost suicidal to try a drop run when the flak was still active, and squandered my troops eventually by dropping them in the wrong place. Is there a training guide that covers dropping troops please  :O

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Trooping
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
At the training site I think the info is under "capturing bases". Goon running is pretty strait forward. Make sure you have troops loaded and NOT supplies, you'll never hear the end of it if you bring the wrong ones!

Fly to base that needs capturing, goons have WEP so if your in a hurry lay the power down.

You MUST be in good communication with the base takers. As you found out ack will tear you up as well as kill your troops. When they give the all clear over the radio move in.

I prefer NOT to take a direct path from my launch base to the target because that is the first route "goon hunters" will take to find you. Come in over the town WITH OUT crossing the airfield, just in case ack is still up at the field.

You can fly on the deck, or at 10k your choice, but you want to release troops above 500 feet ground level, and under 1200 feet. A lot of people will come in low as fast as they can a pull strait up over the center of the town and release troops as soon as they get over 500 feet. Continue to drop troops as you put the goon through a loop. This concitrates the troop drop in a tighter area and they get to the ground faster.

The other option is to land the goon near the town and release the troops when stopped. You MUST be on your wheels to do this, belly landing jams the door or something.  The troops will run up to 1 mile to capture a town.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
So to reiterate and make clear something that Fugi said...

The maproom for an airbase is under the big flag in the town - it's not on the airbase itself.
The maproom for a vbase or a port is on the base itself as neither has a town.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:29 PM »
Here's something I did to help me learn about the town.

In offline mode, take off from the airfield.  Fly over the town, and bail out.  Now pull out the map for the town, and go for a walk.  Press W for walk, and R for run.  Explore the town for a while.  Go to where the flag is, and you will find the map room (It's underground).

The next time I was online, when it came time capture a town, I had a much better idea of what was going on.

To make it more interesting, last weekend I explored the town at an enemy base.  I flew over and dropped a bomb in the middle of town.  Then I spent some time de-acking the town.  Then I bailed out, and took a walk around the town.  This gave me a good chance to see how much damage a 1K bomb does.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline VFCBaxter

• Zinc Member
      • Virtual Flying Corps
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
Will I ever live long enough to be an asset to anybody :o

I thought that the troops had to be dropped on the airbase, I didn't realize there was a town where the flag room was. Thanks guys, will look up capturing bases and talk that walk myself too.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
Sorry baxter...I thought you knew.... 

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
When I drop goons I like to shoot straight up when I get over the map room. Drop them out as you climb upward, that way they all land on or near the map room. Should look like a large J formation.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline angels10

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
  If enemy cons are upping going straight up makes an easy strafing run for fighters to kill all the Troopers in one pass.

I have found it best to circle map room while dropping troops makes them harder for upping fighters to kill if in a big circle.  Otherwise the straight up drop works well. 

ANGELS10 :angel:

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
The other option is to land the goon near the town and release the troops when stopped. You MUST be on your wheels to do this, belly landing jams the door or something.  The troops will run up to 1 mile to capture a town.

If ya open your door before the crash, the troops will still be able to run.  If the door is closed when the crash happens, it does jam and they won't run.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
I knew that the drop had to be above 800 feet.

That is 800 ft above ground level ... if the base is 1.2K ... then your altitude should be at least 2K before kick the troops out ... unless of course you land the C-47.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
I prefer a slow level drop, starting slightly before the maproom or capture point, finishing just after maproom / capture point.
The yellow dot on the radarmap is the maproom / capture point.

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54