Author Topic: Epiphany moments  (Read 1691 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Re: Epiphany moments
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »
I have been into flight sims since my first Atari 400 (about 30 years..gulp!) and playing online flight sims since AW on GEnie.  For me there were two "ah ha" moments with regards to online sims.

#1 was the time I suddenly "got" the flight physics of my targets.  When I started using a hat switch it seemed that every time a target flew off the screen there was a slight sense of panic (A/I controlled targets did not provide the same unpredictability).  Suddenly one flight everything just clicked.  When a target flew off of the screen I could point into space around me to where the target was without flipping to a hat view.

#2 after flying ALL the fighters available in AW I found one that just "clicked" with me (A6M5).  Of all the aircraft available in AW I was the least interested in the Japanese rides and as such they were the last ones I tried.  Something about the feel of the aircraft just worked for me.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
NEVER RAN FROM FIGHTS

When I first started in Aces High, I used to simply dive into a furball, or try to take out various Base targets (i.e. ord, DAR, fuel), without regard to whether I was shot down, or not; after all, the F4U Corsair was designed for this purpose, wasn't it? I had fun!

Then I learned about the scoring system and how to get my score low enough to take control of a CV! Corsairs flew from CV's, don'tcha know!  :lol
I had fun, for awhile, until obtaining score began to make flying miserable! Gosh! You have to make sure you get certain scores in various aspects of the game...and before I knew it...I'd become obsessed with score and became an unpleasant Wingman within my Squad: they just wanted to have fun!

So, where am I going with this? Well, many have posted several of the epiphanies that I have also experienced over the years, and if you stay with Aces High long enough you will experience them all. But, the most recent epiphany for me, and probably the most important one for me, is to pick my own fight and on my own terms in the aircraft I am flying. I will fight until I win, or lose, but, on MY TERMS in that aircraft.

However! If the terms change, and they are not mine, and I see a possible exit from the fight, I will take it and re-evaluate. This is not RUNNING FROM A FIGHT! I may choose to re-engage, or not. And, this to me is the epiphany...knowing the difference.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »

However! If the terms change, and they are not mine, and I see a possible exit from the fight, I will take it and re-evaluate. This is not RUNNING FROM A FIGHT! I may choose to re-engage, or not. And, this to me is the epiphany...knowing the difference.

Not bad if your a lone wolf picker unwilling to advance past high alt B&Z attacks while ignoring calls by your comrades for help in the name of self preservation.

This is just a game not life and death. Here you have an infinite amount of lives to use for the advancement of your skills. You will find enlightenment not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously I believe i once heard.

I think some are in denial of their gameplay form  saying I am good because I learned how to survive instead of I'm good because I can stand my ground against anyone even when the odds are against me.

A response to this could be “It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.”

Running from a fight can be of use at times no doubt but putting all your efforts into trying to master it will keep you from obtaining the skill and respect some look for in this game. Believe it or not it can also be used as part of a life lesson. Some may even say that the way you play certain games is the way you live your life out side of it. A reflection of your inner self lets say whether the willingness to advance, Level of aggressiveness to take risks or cautionary fear that surely leads to complacency.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »
But, the most recent epiphany for me, and probably the most important one for me, is to pick my own fight and on my own terms in the aircraft I am flying. I will fight until I win, or lose, but, on MY TERMS in that aircraft.

I think that's the key. Ignore the incessant BS and play the game you want to play.  :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »

I look at it this way, pretend it's like playing poker. People like you look at their hand and see they don't have much so they fold. People like me look at it and say, "Lets see what I can make of this!".

You only play hands you think you have a good chance to win, where as other players push the limits and play alot more hands. Also, while I'm "pushing the envelope" I'm also making the game more fun for the other guy too. Giving him a fight instead of "resetting the fight" or what ever you call it.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
I would say that the biggest epiphany is getting inside your opponent's head and figuring out how he/she is figuring the fight and being able to predict how they will react.

Next one after that is doing it for multiple opponents.

Next one after that is seeing that the vast majority of human beings think along similar paths and how you can group bogies together by the way they are behaving. Kill the killers first and the rest are just waiting for their turn.

Not that it always works that way but you did say epiphanies :)   
An epiphany (from the ancient Greek "ἐπιφάνεια", epiphaneia, “manifestation, striking appearance”) is the sudden realization or comprehension of the (larger) essence or meaning of something
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:04 AM »
I would say that the biggest epiphany is getting inside your opponent's head and figuring out how he/she is figuring the fight and being able to predict how they will react.

Next one after that is doing it for multiple opponents.

Next one after that is seeing that the vast majority of human beings think along similar paths and how you can group bogies together by the way they are behaving. Kill the killers first and the rest are just waiting for their turn.

Not that it always works that way but you did say epiphanies :)   

You got that right, just like my "location" states.  :aok  :old: :joystick: :airplane: :ahand
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
Not bad if your a lone wolf picker unwilling to advance past high alt B&Z attacks while ignoring calls by your comrades for help in the name of self preservation.

This is just a game not life and death. Here you have an infinite amount of lives to use for the advancement of your skills. You will find enlightenment not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously I believe i once heard.

I think some are in denial of their gameplay form  saying I am good because I learned how to survive instead of I'm good because I can stand my ground against anyone even when the odds are against me.

A response to this could be “It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.”

Running from a fight can be of use at times no doubt but putting all your efforts into trying to master it will keep you from obtaining the skill and respect some look for in this game. Believe it or not it can also be used as part of a life lesson. Some may even say that the way you play certain games is the way you live your life out side of it. A reflection of your inner self lets say whether the willingness to advance, Level of aggressiveness to take risks or cautionary fear that surely leads to complacency.
I look at it this way, pretend it's like playing poker. People like you look at their hand and see they don't have much so they fold. People like me look at it and say, "Lets see what I can make of this!".

You only play hands you think you have a good chance to win, where as other players push the limits and play alot more hands. Also, while I'm "pushing the envelope" I'm also making the game more fun for the other guy too. Giving him a fight instead of "resetting the fight" or what ever you call it.

Gents,

This thread asked for an epiphany and I gave one.

That you choose to not recognize the difference between selecting your fight in the aircraft you are flying and fly it to its characteristics, and the opportunity to exit a fight and re-evaluate your situation in the aircraft you are flying and whether to re-engage or not,  suggests to me that you are not posting here to help new folks, but rather, to advance your own style of game play.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline cuervo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
When I decided (after my third month in-game) that score and rank are meaningless and stopped playing for score and rank.   :aok

Well said! Dido! :salute

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »

You only play hands you think you have a good chance to win, where as other players push the limits and play alot more hands.

Also, while I'm "pushing the envelope" I'm also making the game more fun for the other guy too. Giving him a fight instead of "resetting the fight" or what ever you call it.

I think the above was well said also.

Score and rank come naturally and becomes unavoidable as you begin to progress and explore all the different aspects of the game Hitech creations offers it's players. It's not for everyone but for me being a jack of all trades within the game gave me the most satisfaction and curbed repetition and boredom.