Author Topic: Windows update screwing up my sons windows 7 laptop  (Read 798 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Windows update screwing up my sons windows 7 laptop
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »

I walk in tonight and my son almost immediately tells me that he needs help with his laptop (an ASUS)

Seems he got the latest updates from windows update and it screwed up his display settings giving it a much lower top resolution then he had been using or what was available.

He said he did a system restore which made it ok again but since he had automatic updates turned on. It would just re down load the updates and do it all over again.
So we tried letting the update go through. Then uninstalling and cleaning the drivers out then reinstalling the drivers. Once again upon bootup windows update would activate again and bring us back to square 1.

What we ended up doing is turning off windows update and just doing a system restore and leaving it there.and setting the updater to not automatically install the updates I told him that he might be able to go directly to the microcrap update website and manually select which updates he wants to install.
which is what I do in XP. He has Windows 7.

Does this work the same?
Has anyone else noticed the same problem?
Anyone suggest a workaround?

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: Windows update screwing up my sons windows 7 laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
It shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Manually check for updates, and in the window where it lists the available updates, determine which one is updating his video driver.

Right-click on that update and select "Hide Update".  The update is lightened slightly.

Next time you run the updates, it won't appear.  This should remain in effect when you set the updates back to Automatic as well.

I keep it set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."  I feel it's a little more control as I've had similar issues with automatic updates through many versions of Windows.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:38:06 AM »
First thing I do on a new install is turn off windows auto updates. Heard too many horror storys.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
It shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Manually check for updates, and in the window where it lists the available updates, determine which one is updating his video driver.

Right-click on that update and select "Hide Update".  The update is lightened slightly.

Next time you run the updates, it won't appear.  This should remain in effect when you set the updates back to Automatic as well.

I keep it set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."  I feel it's a little more control as I've had similar issues with automatic updates through many versions of Windows.

Yea thats pretty much the consensus we reached. Just needed to know how to do it. Thanks.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
His dad??   :rofl (  couldn.t help myself DRED :)  )

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
First thing I do on a new install is turn off windows auto updates. Heard too many horror storys.

Thanks, but no thanks.

No security updates either?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
No security updates either?

Can't speak for Ghosth, but not for my personal PCs nor the 100+ servers I have my staff manage.  It's all manual.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
Can't speak for Ghosth, but not for my personal PCs nor the 100+ servers I have my staff manage.  It's all manual.

So you guys just check the list every once-in-a-while and pick the ones you want?

I've personally never had an issue with automatic Windows security updates.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
I check every week, read the descriptions, and then decide if it applies to me.  I'm generally not worried about security updates screwing up my home PC though.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »
I check every week, read the descriptions, and then decide if it applies to me.

Exactly......... best way ( my opinion of course )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
Windows Updates usually come out on Tuesdays at 7pm CST of memory serves. I usually go looking for them on Thursday or Friday after all the IT guys have tested them for the rest of us.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
Windows Updates usually come out on Tuesdays at 7pm CST of memory serves. I usually go looking for them on Thursday or Friday after all the IT guys have tested them for the rest of us.

your memory is correct regarding windows updates on Tuesday,  also for those interested ( like the IT folks, etc ) MS posts on late Thurs or Friday the week before how many updates will be forthcoming and post descriptions of what those updates consist of...

I quit doing it here. but I used to post about any major cumulative MS windows Updates / patches that were coming up just for those who ( like me ) do not use the automatic feature. so people would be reminded to check......

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC