Author Topic: Maybe some day...  (Read 930 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Maybe some day...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
you guys got told   :D

edit: although it doesnt say exactly when that combat was specificaly, tyranis  :o

*waits for someone that knows

The US had around a dozen in the Philippines though I don't know if any of those saw any combat at all as most (if not all) were destroyed on the ground.  The Philippine air force also had some and a few did engage in combat against the Japanese but only accounted for a handful of kills before their Peashooters were destroyed.  So the time of combat would have been late 1941, very early 1942.  The majority of combat the Peashooter took part in though was in China during the late 1930s (think around 1936 or 1937) but that was the export model of the Peashooter so I don't know how much if differed from the US Peashooter, if at all.

Honestly, due to it's relative little use in WW2 the Peashooter isn't really a worthy candidate but then planes like the Curtiss-Wright Model 21 that flew with the Dutch East Indies Air Force, that also saw little action (due to the Dutch being overrun) should be added to the EW PTO plane set.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:07:40 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
you guys got told   :D

edit: although it doesnt say exactly when that combat was specificaly, tyranis  :o

*waits for someone that knows
http://www.aviation-history.com/boeing/p26.html
The P-26 remained in active service for many years and in November 1940, a full year after the start of World War II, the US Army's entire fighter strength in the Philippines consisted of only 28 P-26s. Most of these were destroyed in the first Japanese attacks but two of them, flown by Philippine pilots, became the first American fighters to shoot down Japanese airplanes.

it also became the first plane to be apart of an air battle over the skies of china.

like i said, most got destroyed. and it wasent exackly the best fighter around. but it DID see combat. and DID score kills. plus i think it could do well if put in the same arena with the planes listed above.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
I love internet researching.   :D

Read here.

12 saw combat with the Philippine Army Air Corp from December 8 to December 22 when the remaining aircraft were destroyed to avoid capture.

They were armed with two .30 cal. machine guns.

I'm with Ack-Ack. Rather insignificant and short lived use.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »

Read here.

12 saw combat with the Philippine Army Air Corp from December 8 to December 22 when the remaining aircraft were destroyed to avoid capture.

wrongway
so i post two reliable websites on this forum to back up what i said....

and your responce is to post a link to ANOTHER forum basically discussing the same things we are?

interesting research indeed.  :headscratch:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »

it also became the first plane to be apart of an air battle over the skies of china.

That was prior to the start of WW2 by a few years.

ack-ack

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »
That was prior to the start of WW2 by a few years.

ack-ack
the official start of ww2, yes.

but the plane it faced was japanese. (cant think of its name, if i find it later will post)

so in a way, ww2 enemy, just not officially part of the ww2 timeline.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »

Read here.

wrongway

Reading some of the posts from that forum you posted, it seems that the P-26 only accounted for a single kill as that's supposedly only verified shoot down as it was observed by coast watchers.  The PAF pilot's claim of shooting down a couple of Betty bombers and a Zero might have been false.

It also seems that the PAF lost a few due to accidents or being "condemned" prior to the start of the war and only had 12 operational P-26s when hostilities commenced.

ack-ack

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »
Thats the benefit of being around for a long time and proving many times you know your stuff. When Ack-Ack says something about WWII aerial warfare we can almost always assume it is well informed. All the newer guys who wish to be thought of as an authority on history should take note of how long it takes to get to that place, not expect to be repsected as well read by a community untill they have put the years in. Just a random thought not directed at anyone.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
so i post two reliable websites on this forum to back up what i said....

and your responce is to post a link to ANOTHER forum basically discussing the same things we are?

interesting research indeed.  :headscratch:

I will paraphrase your two reliable sources:

"There were P-26s in the Philippines when the Japanese attacked"

That's about it.

Versus a discussion group, at least two of which are from the Philippines and one published history writer, discussing actual encounters with dates and names.

You be the judge of what is more credible and informative.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
You can wish for whatever you like. It's up to HTC to decide if they can or want to include it. I once wished for a Dr1 and a Camel for the training arena just because they would be fun to fly.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:22 AM »
I am a spy!

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:48 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeh, my thoughts exactly.

Is it really that hard to start your own threads? :rolleyes:

Why is it that when someone posts a wish people start posting pictures of other planes?

Regarding the Gladiator, performance-wise it's pretty far gone even with Special Events in mind. :( It would really need other biplanes to be in anyway usable in Special Events and basically a prewar arena so that they could be flown in more permanent basis. Personally, I think that prewar arena would be new, exciting and awesome fun but many don't feel that way and there's still massive amounts of 3D-work left with the WWII and WWI arenas.

In the right setting, Gladiator would be awesome fun.

But as Mipoikel said, maybe some day! :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!