• Silver Member
Whoa!
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:29:37 AM »
mobilis in mobile

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Whoa!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
Looks like a scam to me. The VR bit wouldn't work as the headsets tracking would be thrown off by the chairs movement.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
Looks like a scam to me. The VR bit wouldn't work as the headsets tracking would be thrown off by the chairs movement.

You're assuming that the VR headset is running of accelerometers.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
You're assuming that the VR headset is running of accelerometers.

yup and?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Looks like an injury in the making to me.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:42 AM »

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:34 AM »
Not a scam.  If you watch tho other videos you'll see the Navy using it at a recruiting booth. I'm guessing that the image in the VR headset is fixed and that looking around has no affect.  You'll also see that the smallish hydraulics bounce like a mofo  :frown:

He claims a rider up to 350 pounds could use it. . . Doesn't look like it's that sturdy.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
What about it?

There are VR systems that use IR, which would render head movement relative to attitude of the machine.  What's keeping them from doing so?

Plus, the headset in the video probably just renders the images in 3D, he doesn't seem to be moving his head.

Video of the machine at a Navy Recruitment booth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvzkgEpbyec

Looks like fun... I'd love one someday... :cool:
Seems like they are using the Vuzix VR headset in this video, I think that uses accelerometers.  I assume the motion simulator would probably mess with it a bit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:56:30 AM by SectorNine50 »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
There are VR systems that use IR, which would render head movement relative to attitude of the machine.  What's keeping them from doing so?

Plus, the headset in the video probably just renders the images in 3D, he doesn't seem to be moving his head.

Video of the machine at a Navy Recruitment booth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvzkgEpbyec

Looks like fun... I'd love one someday... :cool:
Seems like they are using the Vuzix VR headset in this video, I think that uses accelerometers.  I assume the motion simulator would probably mess with it a bit.

Which ones use IR?

Vuzix make lots of non-tracking models as well.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
Which ones use IR?

Vuzix make lots of non-tracking models as well.
I misspoke, I didn't mean any specific VR all-in-one unit with IR tracking, I was trying to imply that IR could be used for the head tracking bit.  I was thinking along the lines of VR headset with something like Track-IR.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »
I misspoke, I didn't mean any specific VR all-in-one unit with IR tracking, I was trying to imply that IR could be used for the head tracking bit.  I was thinking along the lines of VR headset with something like Track-IR.

Yeah I know what you mean't :)  tbh I think the motion/vibration of the unit plus moving background would throw a lot issues into the mix. The headset wasn't wired in any way, so I know for sure it's 'faked', even a wireless headset still has a wired connection to the PC and a belt clipped battery pack.

It's just the guy in the video screamed "here is someone who knows nothing about VR" to me :D