Author Topic: How HTC can make a huge leap in AH graphics with no development cost  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
Re: How HTC can make a huge leap in AH graphics with no development cost
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
I have long lobbied for skin overhauls/ rotations, of course I have my favorite bird too. I still don't really know what the hang up is~ BIG +1 :aok for revamping the existing skins rotating out the tired low rez. I'm not so crazy about the non historical player created skins idea.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
Players would have to have made historically accurate skins, we could make a committee that would go through the skins and the attached photos of the airplane. this way they would be historically accurate, but at the same time more could be added to the game faster once they get the go ahead from the committee that they are accurate.

P.S

We could have a limit of 15 personal skins on a aircraft, they would be say P51D_1 - P51D_15.

But my P51D_1 would be viewed as what I have it set to in the game folder once I download the .res file from the website, but some other person flying in the game will see my skin as his P51D_1 even though they are completely different. This would solve the problem of having to load hundreds of skins for one aircraft once someone sees it with in icon, the limit would be 15 skins per plane just like it is now.
Strokes

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
Players would have to have made historically accurate skins, we could make a committee that would go through the skins and the attached photos of the airplane. this way they would be historically accurate, but at the same time more could be added to the game faster once they get the go ahead from the committee that they are accurate.

P.S

We could have a limit of 15 personal skins on a aircraft, they would be say P51D_1 - P51D_15.

But my P51D_1 would be viewed as what I have it set to in the game folder once I download the .res file from the website, but some other person flying in the game will see my skin as his P51D_1 even though they are completely different. This would solve the problem of having to load hundreds of skins for one aircraft once someone sees it with in icon, the limit would be 15 skins per plane just like it is now.

So I could turn everyone's Spitfires hot pink and all LA-7s rainbow colored?   That is probably a non-starter for the idea (though it doesn't bother me greatly, since natural metal skins are probably just as visible as hot pink ones).   I had hoped that each skin contained a unique ID (the skin reference number?) and if you didn't have the skin someone else was using, it would show their plane as the default skin (and maybe write to a log file the number of times you're using the default instead, so we'd know which skins are most popular and which to go download).

It'd be kind of cool to let the race league fly P-51s, Corsairs, etc - painted up like the real Reno air racers.    Or the RV-6 skinned up like the Red Bull racers for events.   Maybe just another way to appeal to more people...

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
Players would have to have made historically accurate skins, we could make a committee that would go through the skins and the attached photos of the airplane. this way they would be historically accurate,

First part of his statement Oboe. No hot Pink for you :)
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
Naw, I wouldn't be interested in hot pink, and would want to make sure the skin system prevents somebody from installing a custom skin that would make a plane I'm flying show up as hot pink (without my cooperation by installing the same skin).

But, if skins we decentralized and put in players control, maybe we could have skins like this for the AH Extreme Air Racing League:

That would be cool I think, and might provide opportunities for some great youtube action videos of AH air races (esp if friendly collisions are on).

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
 :cry Horses Itch is my favorite 51 skin, but the other looks amazing. :rock
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »
Replace this P-51D skin
(Image removed from quote.)

with this one, submitted by Cactuskooler
(Image removed from quote.)

Remember the old saying, "Always look your best."   I think some of the older skins no longer make a good impression, and it's especially important on popular planes like the P-51D.  Dizzy Rebel would wow the two-weekers, I know it!

if they give us Dizzy Rebel for default i will love the HTC crew forever :aok (you can guess which FG Dizzy flew in...)
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 06:40:33 AM »
:cry Horses Itch is my favorite 51 skin, but the other looks amazing. :rock

I'm very glad to hear from you then, Gay26.   What is it about Horse's Itch that makes it your favorite skin?   Is it a historical, personal connection?  Or that fact that it's the only all-green P-51D?   Or that it's a P-51D from the 357th FG? (I note you are the CO of a VMF squad)

This skin appears to have a shine to it like it was installed with the material.txt for the default natural metal P-51D skin, not the correct specularity for an OD skin.   

Missouri Armada or Little Duckfoot are also all-OD skins from the 357th - I'd love to see Cactuskooler do one of those.     

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
I'm very glad to hear from you then, Gay26.   What is it about Horse's Itch that makes it your favorite skin?   Is it a historical, personal connection?  Or that fact that it's the only all-green P-51D?   Or that it's a P-51D from the 357th FG? (I note you are the CO of a VMF squad)

This skin appears to have a shine to it like it was installed with the material.txt for the default natural metal P-51D skin, not the correct specularity for an OD skin.   

Missouri Armada or Little Duckfoot are also all-OD skins from the 357th - I'd love to see Cactuskooler do one of those.     
you gave him a nice insault in the first line
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
you gave him a nice insault in the first line

If you meant "insult" I don't see it. He was asking "why" he liked that pony skin that's all.

My guess that the skins aren't rotated are these,

1) Skuzzy has enough to do with out messing with moving skins in and out "monthly" or what ever schedule that is picked.
2) The complaints that would flood HTC if you pulled a skin that was well liked, like maybe "Horses Itch"

oboe was just looking for info on why that skin was liked to better understand other views.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
No insult meant at all!

Fugitive is exactly right - I'm looking to understand what would make that skin someone's favorite.   I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it.   The skins I see most often are the default, and then Fencer's blue nosed 352nd, and also his camo 4th FG.  After that it's probably Fester's 31st FG and then his 361st, followed by the RAF skin (Kev367th?).

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
You accidentally typed 'Gay' instead of 'Gary', I think that's what he meant ;P
I'm quite curious as well to know why anyone would use Horses Itch, let alone why it would be anyone's favorite skin.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
I'm very glad to hear from you then, Gary26.   What is it about Horse's Itch that makes it your favorite skin?   Is it a historical, personal connection?  Or that fact that it's the only all-green P-51D?   Or that it's a P-51D from the 357th FG? (I note you are the CO of a VMF squad)

Crap my apologies, gary26.   Not that there's anything wrong with that!.    Back to typing school for me I guess./
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:48:48 PM by oboe »