Author Topic: Windows 8 due in 2012???  (Read 1301 times)

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 8 due in 2012???
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
just games or most windows software...say like professional software like cad and solid works.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 12:32:06 AM »
just games or most windows software...say like professional software like cad and solid works.

Direct support lacks to most windows software. Many can be run directly with Wine though. But there are open source alternatives to most commonly used programs. Photoediting, video, instant messaging, audio, even games... Only teenagers who need to run crysis will be blocked out basically.

Also some professional use programs may not run but for general type of office work (handling office, excel etc.) Linux works better straight out of the box than windows, it has libreoffice built in. Some may cringe on the differences of use, some welcome them as its NOT using ribbon but the 'good old' style of UI.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 02:40:05 AM »
thanks for your postings in ubuntu mrripley  :salute.  been waiting to get a flash drive so I can play around with it on my other drive and see how it goes.  I finally got one today.  will try it tomorrow hopefully i wont be too drunk  :D

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 03:18:22 AM »
thanks for your postings in ubuntu mrripley  :salute.  been waiting to get a flash drive so I can play around with it on my other drive and see how it goes.  I finally got one today.  will try it tomorrow hopefully i wont be too drunk  :D

semp

Happy experimenting, afterall it's totally free. Only costs your time.

One comment: If you're going to use linux, going nvidia is far more trouble free than ATI. Older ATI cards may not support 3D at all due to lack of support on ATI. Newer cards seem to work pretty ok (tested 5850). Nvidia generally speaking works out of the box, once you boot in an automatic selection comes where you choose if you want to use the nvidia driver or the open source alternative. You should choose the nvidia driver for speed and reliability.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
Update: I got AH2 run on Ubuntu by simply installing Wine and downloading the setup + running it. Joystick works, audio works, graphics work and I could fly offline.

Abysmal performance though - 20-45fps on a Core2duo 3,4Ghz + 5850 radeon.