Author Topic: the legend of y-29  (Read 916 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
the legend of y-29
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
January 1, 1945, The German Luftwaffe launches Operation Bodenplatte, a last desperate attempt to break loose the Ardennes Offensive that had been halted at Bastogne.  Approximately 800 German fighters are sent to attack 15 allied forward air bases.  At some bases the Luftwaffe attack is devastating, destroying aircraft and rendering airstrips useless.  At other fields only a few fighters found their targets and damage was minimal.  But at Asch the result was unlike anything the Luftwaffe had imagined.  The attack on the Asch airbase, known as Y-29, was a total disaster.  When the 11th Jagdgeschwader reached Y-29 they found 8 Thunderbolts of the 390th Fighter Squad, 366 Fighter Group circling the field and 12 Mustangs of the 487th Fighter Squad, 352nd Fighter Group just taking off.  The ensuing battle came to be know as the "Legend of Y-29".  This battle was only one of many battles that took place on new years day 1945.  But in no other battle did one unit distinguish itself so well from such a disadvantage.  For their courage and performance in the face of overwhelming odds, the 487th earned the only Distinguished Unit Citation given to a fighter squadron in the Northwestern European Theater of Operation.
-^ copied.

but anyways.why has this legendary battle been considered as a scenario.

it seems like it would be a good late war scenario between the US and Germany.

i think it was also featured on the show "Dogfights"

more info can be found here -  http://www.352ndfg.com/Y-29/legend.htm
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: the legend of y-29
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:58:24 AM »
I will agree with you, it is an awesome battle. But it is only one battle that took place over a day or so. Scenarios tend to be constructed after an event that lasted months. It is really hard to make a scenario out of one battle.

That being said, I would fly in it if it were to come up!  :rock
Strokes

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
Try Snapshots, they run this one every few months.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »

thats also a very good idea
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
In fact it was run this past Wednesday. Unfortunately the set up is real tough to pull of like it actually happened. How can you replicate a "suprise attack" in a special event where the Allies know the attack is coming? P-51s were held on the runway until the base flashed on the map, but the P-47s were allowed to launch normally. Axis fighters were limited to 5K alt and were pounced by the 47s from 15K early on into the attack, giving ample time for the 51s gain speed and alt unmolested. Not exactly accurate is it?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
47s should be held to an alt limit same of the axis fighters. Will check will Raptor on it thanks for the heads up.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »
Were the results for this ever posted?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
I cant recall the pilot famous one him and his wingie were having lunch in Switzerland at the time, came back to find out they had missed the last big aerial shootout...
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE