Author Topic: The Best Thing About the New Tiger???  (Read 1036 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
The Best Thing About the New Tiger???
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
Aside from the great work done by waffle and Greebo, is the default camoflage is going to be

GREEN AND BROWN

instead of YELLOW and TAN.

The Tiger wont be waving the "Here I Am" sign above his head anymore on our green colored maps.   :D

Now, lets get that German workhorse of a tank, the Panzer IV H up to par on graphics!   :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
Re: The Best Thing About the New Tiger???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
New King Tiger will only be available on desert maps.    :noid    :noid    :bolt:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
That's not an accident either. I found a photo of that Pz Abt 102 scheme late on in the build and changed to it from my original Pz Abt 101 skin. The 101 scheme was more typical of Tigers of the period but would have been a bit more visible as it had more dark yellow in it.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
That's not an accident either. I found a photo of that Pz Abt 102 scheme late on in the build and changed to it from my original Pz Abt 101 skin. The 101 scheme was more typical of Tigers of the period but would have been a bit more visible as it had more dark yellow in it.

So the default skin is a mid war skin?  Either way, it is FAR better than the glowing yellow/tan we have now for a default skin on the Tiger (and Panzer IV, too).
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
Now if only we could fix that glowing neon icon that announces your presence to all aircons within about a mile. And through cover no less.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
Now if only we could fix that glowing neon icon that announces your presence to all aircons within about a mile. And through cover no less.

1999 yards, to be exact.   :D  I wish HTC would at least TRY a new setting on that.  Say 999 yards.  What would be the harm in trying new settings for certain arbitrary server settings???  LOTS of things could be changed a wee bit and it may or may not effect game play.  Certain things, like a shorter distance for icon identification would only lend towards the "realism" side of things.  Right now, imo, things lend too far to the "easy" side of things for aircraft, it is too easy to just watch for the icons.  Other things such as wind, OBJ hardness, rate of fire for tanks (stats usually show a X-Y number of RPM), number of troops to capture a field, on and on.  Food for thought.   

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:02 AM »
As a test to the accuracy, I propose we put dale in a cesna, have him fly roughly 2000yds away from a car, and try to have him identify whether its a car or a truck while manualy controlling the plane. If dale can do that, he wins official bad-azz status, the membership card along with it, and a legitimate cake for his next birthday  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »
I like the new Tiger colors also. Both the Tiger and the Panzer looked like the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard sitting in the woods.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
As a test to the accuracy, I propose we put dale in a cesna, have him fly roughly 2000yds away from a car, and try to have him identify whether its a car or a truck while manualy controlling the plane. If dale can do that, he wins official bad-azz status, the membership card along with it, and a legitimate cake for his next birthday  :D.

Good idea.   :D

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
So the default skin is a mid war skin?  Either way, it is FAR better than the glowing yellow/tan we have now for a default skin on the Tiger (and Panzer IV, too).

The new default skin is a late production Tiger that fought in Normandy. From mid 43 on all Tigers were painted dark yellow in the factory and the crews or front line depots applied camo as needed. Pz Abt 102 had a unique scheme where almost all the dark yellow was painted out except for thin strips separating the other two colours.

I've always thought the best way to do GV icons would be to have a variable range based on what the GV is doing. So if its stationary and not firing it would have say a 1k icon range. If it fires its main gun that goes up to say 2-3k, but just for a second or two. Maybe vary the icon range increase based on gun power.  If the GV starts moving the icon range increases the faster it goes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:00:45 AM by Greebo »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
I've always thought the best way to do GV icons would be to have a variable range based on what the GV is doing. So if its stationary and not firing it would have say a 1k icon range. If it fires its main gun that goes up to say 2-3k, but just for a second or two. Maybe vary the icon range increase based on gun power.  If the GV starts moving the icon range increases the faster it goes.

Is that something that can be coded though?  It seems that the part of the coding regarding icons is only adjustable for distance and on/off?  Your idea makes perfect sense because the human eye is attacted to movement more so than shape or color so if the tank is moving then it should be seen further away.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
It would need the icon code to be rewritten I guess. However the information each FE would need to tell it which icons to display at any given time should already be there. The game already requires each FE to know the speed and direction etc. of every player around it and also when those players are firing weapons. This idea would require a bit more processing to be done by each FE to display (or not) every GVer's icon in the vicinity. Whether that's an unacceptable overhead only Hitech could say. Also he may feel this idea could be detrimental to gameplay in some way, but I can't see how personally.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
I feel its still leaning too far toward the 'playabilty' end of the spectrum. What I proposed in jest would be a legitimate test. I bet dale would have a hell of a time spotting that car regardless of the color if we put it in some trees. Hell, we could coat it in mirors and shine a search light on it and it would be hard to spot.

Also bear in mind that the battle field would have burnt out tanks and asorted vehicles scattered around.

D600 is a good range if we're going to leave it at the "tiger", "panzer", "M4", etc. icons instead of a generic "tank" or "GV" untill up close. Vehicles can hidously vulnerable to aircraft, and theres not much they can do in retaliation. No need to make a turkey shoot of a bomb-fest.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
     I'm wondering about the eyesight of some of the guys here who complain about visual ranges.  My eyesight is
average at best and I had no trouble identifying aircraft type in the traffic pattern.  It's also not that difficult to
differentiate between a round turret and a square one.  I also have never seen a panzer attack in reverse, so the
direction on the turret would be an excellent indicator of which side he's on.

Ok, one possible exception is that bass-ackwards tank destroyer of the Brits known as the Archer.  But since we
don't have one in AH, shouldn't be an overwhelming difficulty anyway.  :D

Archer
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
lol. That would confuse the crap outa people. Did it have thicker armor on the back? I mean thats the side that would be exposed to the most fire.