Author Topic: Latency Got You Down?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Brazin

• Zinc Member
Latency Got You Down?
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
While it was originally released for WoW, this "fix" works well in nearly all on-line games.  Well worth a try.  Check your connection before and after, and see how much it improves!

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Latency Got You Down?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »
I would not recommend using this.  It can introduce stability problems into your computer.  It really is not going to help with UNIX server based connections as the UNIX network stack will not allow violations of the stack to occur like a Windows based server will.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:35 AM »
I used that or something very similar to that (the one I used was called "FasterPing" and was in beta, that could be it but renamed, they do the same thing) while playing WoW for at least two years, when I was playing competitive or semi-competitive PvP arena and battlegrounds, and in WoW for me it did have an impact, both on the listed ping times and on the "feel" of lower latency.  I also never had any instability at all.

I was also playing Aces High during that time, but I never found it to make a difference for Aces High.  Even for WoW, I would recommended it to people I was teamed with, and of those who installed it, only about half said their ping numbers went down, the rest claimed there was no difference.  So it was hit and miss.

One down side is that I seemed to notice slower speeds for other tasks on the internet, such as downloading files.  I'm not an expert on TCP-IP, but it seems to make sense that Microsoft would tweak the default connection settings for the most common user tasks, which probably is not playing MMOs, but probably is transferring files and web browsing.

I'm not using it now since I'm not playing WoW any more, so I never reinstalled it after my last OS reinstall.  I'd say that it probably won't hurt to try it, but not to get your hopes up.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
I'm not playing WoW any more

Congratulations on kicking the habit!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
Isn't latency in AH more related to how the routers in your path to the game server handel UDP and background process congestion on your PC? I thought TCP was for our intial security authentication from the games challenge and response screen.

Oh yeah and possibly how much your service providor is limiting streaming media content which will effect UDP.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
If that just adjusts the TCP stack settings, why would that work here when the AH game traffic is UDP, hence no acknowledgements are sent?

Perhaps it would work in games that used TCP.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
Both TCP and UDP are used, but the servers will not allow anyone to violate the TCP stack timing requirements and this is what that utility is doing (among other things).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com