Author Topic: Possible over heating video card  (Read 321 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Possible over heating video card
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
Before I spend money on computer repairs, quick question in hopes someone knows.

My screen goes black or white then freezes and ultimately closes during game play. I have been deleting extra programs, etc and headed towards a repairman. Before I take that step I had someone ask me if I've opened the computer tower and simply blown it clean. Could it be that simple? Will simple, small amounts of dust overheat a computer and/or video card?

I hope someone has had this issue before I end up paying some computer guy $95 to open it up and blow it clean.

Thanks in advance.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: Possible over heating video card
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
Before you pay somebody to work on your PC, download the software from here and view the temperatures of your components:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

It's free, very useful, and if you post a screenshot or the temps of your CPU and vid card, some folks here can help you before you dish out some cash.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »
I did two things.

First, I pulled the panel off, turned off the computer and blew dust out. Surprised at how much there was. I then downloaded the software link above, getting readings. One question, it shows the temps are roughly right at the max level. It says 30 degrees and it shows 29-30 degrees. Should it be much lower relative to the max number?

Boo

PS I ran one sortie with no crashes, one of the few times in a month.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
heat can and will cause odd graphics issues, even kill your system. you should dust out your system completely once every 6-8 months depending on the environment...pets, smoking, high humidity all add to the problem.

each monitored component has different max temps that they can operate under...check that program again, you don't want to be looking at ambient temp as much as component temp.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »
What was said above -- what was reading 30 degrees?

Also, the 'Max' is simply the maximum temperature that particular component reached.  It's not what the maximum acceptable temperature is for that specific component.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."