Author Topic: Missing something in the tanks  (Read 547 times)

Offline Vortex01

• Zinc Member
      • http://molalla.net/~reeds
Missing something in the tanks
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
Hello everyone I was tanking in a T34 the other night and had a few mystifying things happen to me. The first thing was I was hiding behind a hill and scoping out the area with my engine off waiting for a newly spawned tank to arrive, I have the hill on two sides of me and trees and a cabin on the other sides, the distant hills are clear of tanks and no planes have flown over me is some time. Then bam! I am dead, one shot from long range somewhere. NO one close could possibly see me much less get near enough to see me without my hearing them, I could see the far off ridge that the enemy might come over and there was no movement and if they were hull down the closest they could be was over 30 away. So I am mystified about how this happened, one shot at long range, OK it can happen but how is it they can spot me so easily at that range? I can't see them.

The next thing was I had driven all the way around the enemy base and got fairly close in and found a nice little hiding spot with trees covering my flanks, clear vis behind me and a nice ambush to hit enemy as they move around to flank our other guys. I sit with the engine off for over five minutes...not a sound..then I hear a tank engine and begin the wait...sure enough he rolls into view and I have a nice short range shot (about range 8) at his tail end. bam he dies in a glorious ball of fire. not five seconds later I die from an unknown enemy with one shot, no planes overhead. What happend?

OH I am not complaining about gett'n kilt if so I would have died in real life of dehydration from the loss of tears  :angel: I am just trying to find out what I am missing or doing wrong here as I can not silently sneak up on anyone in my tank or spot and kill them at extreme range much less with one shot.....

So any advice would be great because I do like to jump in the tank and having a chance at survival would be great.
"The green field, red barn and the lone silo, it is all that captures me eye as I fly....."  Memories of Red Baron on INN

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Missing something in the tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »
roll film when your out there. If nothing happens worth watching/checking out that run, don't save it. but in these cases it might help you see what happened.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
dont ever forget what I am going to tell you

the weirdest things in the game happen in GVs.

you can shoot the same tank in the front and not kill it. and when he shoots u in the same spot he will kill you. vice versa. if you shoot a t34 in between the turret and the hull, it round will go right through the middle and do nothing. M4 (76)s can kill tiger tanks from frontal shots. stay away from the produce isle, lettuce will flip your tank without warning

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:09:46 AM »
  There are 17lbers in towns and on bases,these are capable of 1 shot kills on most tanks,same gun as Firefly.

:salute

Offline Vortex01

• Zinc Member
      • http://molalla.net/~reeds
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
ROll film that is a good idea and I will do it. Stay away from produce Isle got it! I have had the experience with the field guns... :bhead

Thanks
"The green field, red barn and the lone silo, it is all that captures me eye as I fly....."  Memories of Red Baron on INN

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
ROll film that is a good idea and I will do it. Stay away from produce Isle got it! I have had the experience with the field guns... :bhead

Thanks

There is to many variables to tell what exactly happened, it could of been a plane with a bomb, 17lb gun or maybe someone was ambushing you and didnt see you until you killed the enemy tank.

One thing is, if you are going to assault an enemy base you might as well always bring HE rounds for the 17LB guns as one shot can knock out every tank in the game except a King tiger (frontal attack of course).
Your sounds might not be setup also to be "tanking" - if you have the sounds setup correctly then it tends to be clear what kills you.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »
If I had to guess, I would say it was somebody you just didn't see, which isn't at all unusual unless you're running with a bad graphics card (for some reason a bad graphics card makes a little black square apear around GV's, simmilar to the long-range dot for aircraft, making them easier to spot).

If you were hell-bent on killing him in return, what you should have done was upped something small, like an M8 (might have been an M18 that killed you, which would also help explain why you didn't see him) and do some looking around. When you spot him, try to land a few hits on him with the M8 so he's soft (and easier to kill) when you re-up with a Panzer IV.

That and the T-34/76 is notorious along with the M4(75) as being a one-hit-wonder. Panzer IV's have (or had, as of September) no problems one-shoting a T-34/76 out past 1600yds.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"