Author Topic: Shot out Instruments  (Read 594 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Shot out Instruments
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
For added realism and eye candy.

Can our flight instruments not be made of titanium and actually take damage? Would make flying/combat a lot more challenging and funner.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Shot out Instruments
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
I don't think it will happen. It has been suggested a few times over many years.

The general concensus is that AH is about flying your best with the tools you have. Not about losing because you can't see the instruments. It is a game after all. For the same reason it would be more challenging to have your radio shot out and not be able to type or speak on vox, as well... But that won't happen. It's a game and you need certain things to do what you do. (not to mention all the planes in WW2 that didn't have working radios, etc)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
I'd like to see this someday added too, but to a point that it doesn't completely make or break a fight, but maybe in-hand with other existing damages that impede your ability to fly from the pilot's perspective, like oil/engine hits maybe with damaged or obstructed instruments (maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 chance to get oil inside the canopy as much as on the outside) or pilot wounds with damaged/obstructed instruments.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Perhaps make it so that it's not game-breaking. Important instruments like fuel or speed and altimeter can stay invulnerable. However, things like the G Indicator, Attitude, Trim Indicator etc etc can be shot out. You can still fight without those, and the extra damage would be cool for some eye candy.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »
That would be a fair compromise -- none of the vital ones. Not sure about how much rendering or extra processing power it would take, but it would be a nice immersion.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
I don't think it will happen. It has been suggested a few times over many years.

The general concensus is that AH is about flying your best with the tools you have. Not about losing because you can't see the instruments. It is a game after all. For the same reason it would be more challenging to have your radio shot out and not be able to type or speak on vox, as well... But that won't happen. It's a game and you need certain things to do what you do. (not to mention all the planes in WW2 that didn't have working radios, etc)
you need your wings to fly, but yet i always end up like this.

only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »

krusty...if it's just a game, what difference would it make if the gauges got shot out? you're not going to win or lose based on whether or not you can read the gauges...safe landings might be difficult if you don't know your airspeed but, hey a "good stick" should be able to do it fairly well.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
My objection to it is that most often if the gauge was shot out the bullet likely had to pass through the pilot to hit the gauge or would hit the pilot immediately after destroying the gauge.  There isn't much room in there to hit the gauge without hitting the pilot.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
My objection to it is that most often if the gauge was shot out the bullet likely had to pass through the pilot to hit the gauge or would hit the pilot immediately after destroying the gauge.  There isn't much room in there to hit the gauge without hitting the pilot.
not necessarily karnak...it would depend on the plane but, almost any off angle deflection shot on the front 1/3 of the cockpit could hit the instrument panel and not the pilot. granted it is a narrow shot window but, even the gunsight could get hit without the pilot being hit.

jarhed  

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
As I said, most often.  There are shots that don't involve the pilot being hit, but not many.

Also, if it were a cannon round, it probably isn't going to do good things to the pilot when it hits the perspex or instrument panel in the shots you posted.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
ya well a cannon round in the cockpit from any angle would not be a good thing for the pilot...i personally wouldn't complain if instrument panel and gunsight damage were included, couldn't be any worse than the obnoxious oil hits that magically mess up the canopy no matter where the hit occurred.
jarhed  

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 03:06:02 AM »
Well if it means something:
Debrődy was wounded on the stomach by a russian 20mm round fired by a Jak9. The round came through the gauge panel. I suspect it was a deflection shot situation.
He could ditch his aircraft and survived.
The gauge panel must have slowed down that round pretty much, otherwise i can see no way how he survived it.
AoM
City of ice