Author Topic: Need help of a grammar nazi, please  (Read 1030 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Need help of a grammar nazi, please
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »
MY big thing is  "Don't you hate people that (blah blah, immaterial)

THAT, is NOT a @#$@$@!$ pronoun which is suitable for human beings! I even hear news broadcasters do this, blows my mind.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »
Thanks again, this thread has got more interesting than I ever could imagine. I have also learned a thing or two.

I had to check the word "oxymoron" in the online dictionary, wanting to know if that were a special, maybe linguistically challenging kind of a moron. To my surprise the Finnish word was the same, only spelled "oksymoron"! Thank Google I now know better.

@bj229r: What really pisses me off is, that after a rule breaking way of speaking gets common enough, the rule will officially be changed. They've done that here with a previously definite no no and the result mutilates my poor ears every time I hear or read it.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »
Read a letter or two from the 1800's..say..from a lowly enlisted soldier to his wife. Their command of the English language is ten-fold over most folks today.

example-- http://www.pastvoices.com/usa/baker63.shtml

Sergeant Neil A. Baker
Company F, 50th North Carolina
"We have good news! In today’s paper, our little Navy pitched into the blockading vessels at Charleston, South Carolina and cleared the Ranch—raised or opened the blockade without any loss on our side" Sergeant Neil A. Baker, Goldsboro, North Carolina February 1863

Camp Near Goldsboro, North Carolina—February 1863

Dear Jane—

Having a good opportunity of sending you a few lines by N. T. Watson, I embrace it. This leaves me in my usual health, hop[ing] this will reach you and the babies enjoying the same blessing. Mr. Watson goes home on furlough for 14 days also Jack Thomas and Sgt. John Godfrey. Again I am acting Quartermaster Sgt. Vice [for] Wm J. Kelley [who has] gone home upon furlough for 14 days.

Again, I am acting Quartermaster Sergeant,“Vice”. William J. Kelley [has] gone home upon furlough for 14 days. John B. McFarland got an indefinite detail (for not stated time) to work in Goldsboro upon Guns for Government and I am pretty certain that he will get a furlough too, to go after his tools. One man for every twenty-five gets furloughs, but you see, Sgt. Kelly or J. B. McFarland furloughs has nothing to do with the furloughs of those of the Company.

We have a good many visitors, Rob, David Thomas and wives and mother. Absolum Kelly and Getty Cox came today. John Buchanan and daughter and Jasper Thomas’s wife came last evening and some others that came before.

We have good news! In today’s paper, our little Navy pitched into the blockading vessels at Charleston, South Carolina and cleared the Ranch—raised or opened the blockade without any loss on our side. I still have very flattering hopes that we will soon have peace again in our land. I have a very strong opinion that in a few days, the number of furloughs will be increased for because if they are not, you see one for every 25 men, it would take nearly or quite all the year for all to get home at that rate. If there is no threatening movement of the enemy soon, I am confident that the number will be increased. I want to go in this or the first of next month if possible.

Nothing more worth your attention.

…Yours truly, Neill A. Baker
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 01:06:34 PM »
¢◎üʟḓ øḟ ℮αṧḯʟƴ ℊ☺⊥ ☂нℯ кїʟℓ...
ℑ ґℯαℓʟ¥ ẘ◎üℓ∂ᾔ❝т ☺ḟ ẘαη☂εⅾ тø ♭℮ кḯłℓεḓ...
Ї ẘ☺υℓḓᾔ❝⊥ øḟ ℘αƴℯⅾ μ◎ґ℮ т♄ℯη $60 ḟ☺ґ їт...
ẘ℮ ṧнøʊł∂η❝т øḟ ḉнℯℯґℯⅾ...
⊥нℯ¥ ṧℌ☺üʟⅾᾔ‷⊥ øƒ ß℮εη...
ṧ♄☺υł∂ ◎ƒ ρ@ḯḓ...
ℑƒ ℱґ@η¢ℯ нαⅾη‷⊥ ◎ḟ ḉ◎ʟłα℘ṧ℮ḓ...
Їḟ ṧнε нα∂ᾔ❝т ☺ƒ ßℯℯη ⅾεℓαƴεḓ...
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
so I always say "crap <chit> load" to indicate a whole fricking horde and their cousins.  it's not in the dictionary, go ahead and sue me.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
I like "Aint" and "Caint"

"It ain't gonna happen"
"It cain't happen"

:D

Can't..
It can't happen. And couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't have happened.. Or could've, would've, should've happened..
TheStig

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 06:21:57 PM »
!F Y0U $0/\/\3|-|0\/\/ |)3(!P|-|3R +|-|!$ |_3++3R!|\|G, Y0U \/\/!|_|_ |\|0+!(3 +|-|@+ 1 @/\/\ U$!|\|G (0/\/\P|_3+3|_Y (ORR3(+ GR@/\/\/\/\@R.

And now for something completely different: picture
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »
Some of you have spent too much time in the internetz get out now before its to late.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »
I don't object any new expressions being introduced in a language as such, since language really is a dynamic entity which survival in the long run is determined by its ability to transform. Although all the new expressions do not necessarily improve the ability of the language to express, say, complicated things but may even more or less reduce the information content while improving intelligibility.

The problems are different in languages with different structures but at least in Finnish the problem of simplification of words by omitting suffixes completely has been increased as new speakers of language have increased. Maybe it will make our language more survivable as it transforms in the process and becomes easier to adopt, but will the language also lose a lot of its expressivity in the process?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."