Author Topic: Pintle Gun on the M8 - how to fire it?  (Read 553 times)

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
Pintle Gun on the M8 - how to fire it?
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
Any help...

How do you get into the pintle gun on the M8?

#1 = Outside Turret Main  37mm
#2 = Inside Turret Main 37mm
#3 = Turret mounted M2HB 50 cal

Position 2 shows 1580 rounds and begins counting down when you fire the main...which is odd because its combining the main and pintle (1500 + 80) as one total

What am I missing here?

Out

Oneway

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Pintle Gun on the M8 - how to fire it?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
The .30 cal MG that's mounted alongside the main gun can be fired from the #2/gunners position with the secondary fire button.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
Ok

How do fire the #4 gun on a Tiger 1? called AA Mount 1?

The loadout shows three 7.9mm guns...

Top gun, and the hull gun...so where is the third gun?

Is that a shoulder fired weapon for when I dismount  :bolt:

edit: strange...if you play around with setting the head position you will find that position 4 is the same gun as position 3, except 4 has no bullets
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:26:27 PM by oneway »

Offline mamaluigi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
Most AA guns on German tanks had a limited traverse around a ring, so Position 4 alows you to adjust the postitioning of the Pintle gun for a different firing position. I hope I said that simply enough, and hope it helps! :salute

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Ok

How do fire the #4 gun on a Tiger 1? called AA Mount 1?

The loadout shows three 7.9mm guns...

Top gun, and the hull gun...so where is the third gun?

Is that a shoulder fired weapon for when I dismount  :bolt:

edit: strange...if you play around with setting the head position you will find that position 4 is the same gun as position 3, except 4 has no bullets

AA gun, Hull gun, and Coaxial gun, are your three 7.92mm

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
Most AA guns on German tanks had a limited traverse around a ring, so Position 4 alows you to adjust the postitioning of the Pintle gun for a different firing position. I hope I said that simply enough, and hope it helps! :salute

I have no idea what you mean

Position 4 does not fire anything either primary or secondary fire

The load out says 3 machine guns. When you pull up the positions by being in one of them..their is a position 4...but neither primary or secondary do anything from what I can tell

Position 1 is the commander view of the main gun with its secondary fire controlling the forward hull Pintle
Position 2 is the gunners view and secondary fire controls the same forward hull pintle
Position 3 is the top mounted machine gun, and primary fire controls its fire, secondary fire does nothing
Position 3 is the top mounted machine gun, and neither primary or secondary fire anything

re-reading your comment...are you suggesting that in order slew the hull gun you need to jump to position 4, do the slew, then jump back to position 1 or 2 and then fire using secondary? If that is how it works that is awfully strange...and does not explain why the load shows 3 guns not 2
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:34:00 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
AA gun, Hull gun, and Coaxial gun, are your three 7.92mm

BigRat

Have you tried to fire from position #4 on a Tiger 1?

Try it and post your results here...because I am stymied as to what position 4 is. It puts you exactly the same place as 3, which is your top mounted machine.

Like I mentioned earlier...if you move your head positions and save them in 3 or 4...you will see that they are in fact two different positions, though proximately located in the exact same place on the tank

Neither primary nor secondary fire ANYTHING from position 4

I am now more confused...or this is a bug?

Out

Oneway
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:34:35 PM by oneway »

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
Oneway,

At first I couldn't figure the difference, but then I noticed something.  #4 is used to change the AA gun mounting position.  If you move position #4 all the way to the rear of the turet as far as you can, and then switch to position #3, you can now fire over the rear of the turret.  So it's a way to change the limited AA gun traverse to a different sector of fire.  I never figured this out until now, thanks to your question I learned something new :aok

BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:41 AM »
Oneway,

At first I couldn't figure the difference, but then I noticed something.  #4 is used to change the AA gun mounting position.  If you move position #4 all the way to the rear of the turet as far as you can, and then switch to position #3, you can now fire over the rear of the turret.  So it's a way to change the limited AA gun traverse to a different sector of fire.  I never figured this out until now, thanks to your question I learned something new :aok

BigRat    

So the pieces of the puzzle are coming together

The Tiger 1 does not have 3 guns....but AH has included 3 guns in the load out...with the third gun position utilized as a mechanism to control sweep or scope of the second gun position

Fascinating

For the record...this question has nothing to do with the fighting in and using of Tiger 1's...I have never been in a Tiger 1 until this test....it is the result of an exhaustive exercise in documenting and reducing to a database...all of the elements of this game in terms of rides and load outs...for use in updating the Wiki...and other reasons...lots of other reasons

Thanks Big Rat

:aok

Salute Sir

Out

Oneway
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:23:31 AM by oneway »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
No oneway, you're just not getting it.

Tiger I, Panther, and the Tiger II all have THREE machine guns. One hull-mounted, one mounted coaxil to the main armament, and one mounted on the Commanders cupola for anti-infintry and AA work.

The hull gun is slaved to the turret. It aims at the same place as the turret, so long as the turret is aiming somwhere within its arc of fire. If you hit the secondary fire button when in the turret or commander's possition, you will fire BOTH the hull gun and the coaxil machine gun if both guns can be brought to bear on your target.

The pintle mounted machine gun (the one on top of your tank) can be fired from possition three. There are multiple mounts for the top gun, but each mount only has a limited arc of fire (23.5 degrees, IIRC). So HTC created possition #4 for German tanks, which allows you to move the gun to a different mount, to fire on a different target.

So in short, possition #4 isn't a weapon. It was simply created as a means of moving your other weapon to fire on a target that would be otherwise out of reach, so to speak.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
No oneway, you're just not getting it.

Tiger I, Panther, and the Tiger II all have THREE machine guns. One hull-mounted, one mounted coaxil to the main armament, and one mounted on the Commanders cupola for anti-infintry and AA work.

The hull gun is slaved to the turret. It aims at the same place as the turret, so long as the turret is aiming somwhere within its arc of fire. If you hit the secondary fire button when in the turret or commander's possition, you will fire BOTH the hull gun and the coaxil machine gun if both guns can be brought to bear on your target.

The pintle mounted machine gun (the one on top of your tank) can be fired from possition three. There are multiple mounts for the top gun, but each mount only has a limited arc of fire (23.5 degrees, IIRC). So HTC created possition #4 for German tanks, which allows you to move the gun to a different mount, to fire on a different target.

So in short, possition #4 isn't a weapon. It was simply created as a means of moving your other weapon to fire on a target that would be otherwise out of reach, so to speak.

I do get it...that is what I said above "with the third gun position utilized as a mechanism to control sweep or scope of the second gun position"

The 'third gun position' refers to position number 4 and the second gun position refers to position number 3.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »
So you were saying you realize that, while German tanks don't have three gun POSSITIONS, they actually do have 3 different machine guns?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I though you were saying the Tiger I/II and Panther were mislabled in the hanger as having 3 machine guns, but really only have 2.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"