Author Topic: Torpedo bombing tips?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Torpedo bombing tips?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
Yes... I have given up on trying to use torps..    NO easy way to train, as it tough to see where your torp goes in the 1st place.  Not to  mention the ack is a little out of hand near Carriers.  I constantly get nailed in my 47 at 500mph.. way to far away to be realistic IMO.    So  thanks for the post replys.. but until things change ........ I quit...  torpedoing.      Jed  :bolt: :x

If you want practice make an appointment with a trainer for some time in the TA, they can move the CV's around the map and put one in a position that allows a quick flight from a nearby field.  I don't recall what it's set at off hand but they can also adjust ack lethality down so you can see when you're getting hit and at what range. 

A single plane making a torpedo attack doesn't have a high chance of success, but it can be done in the MA as I indicated previously.  I don't bomb much but I really enjoy torpedo attacks, I usually fail but I find it fun and when you succeed it feels pretty damned good.  Fortunately I'm used to my flights ending in a flaming wreck. :)

If you want to give it a shot give me a holler if you see me online I'll be happy to grab a TBM and we can go see if we can hit anything.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
ack lethality is 0.001 (ie 1/1000) in TA :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
Soulyss: You read it on the AH trainer corps webpage!

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/torpedoes/torpedoes.htm

Screenshots and all, folks. Give it a gander. I did, and tried it offline against a full-ack enemy fleet. Lo, and behold! I landed my first hit!

Tried it in the LWA against enemy CV, lo and behold! PERFECT HIT!

'Course.... then my brain refused to retain the info and every next run failed miserably, but the theory is sound!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
yup the technique in the tutorial works great (at least with TBMs and Ju88s) :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
I saw that, and it's a similar approach to what I've used but that's a perpendicular (90 degree) approach, I've used a 45 degree approach with some success, I think the method on the trainers page is probably better, it's easier to eyeball and judge 90 degrees compared to 45 degrees.

Torpedo attacks are never going to be as easy or as effective as bombing in the MA, if the goal is to efficiently kill ships then this probably isn't it.  I do find them to be a LOT more fun though. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Report back here when this "Method" in the "Tutorial" works on a man gunned and turning Task Group in the MA

It never will...ever....and to continue this notion and fantasy is counter productive...it will turn off new players

Recipe for Suicide...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:30:32 PM by oneway »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Report back here when this "Method" in the "Tutorial" works on a man gunned and turning Task Group in the MA

It never will...ever....and to continue this notion and fantasy is counter productive...it will turn off new players

Recipe for Suicide...

I don't think anybody made such a boast, in any way. The duration and speed of a torpedo is such that you can launch it before you die, but the skill really lies in launching it before you die and having it HIT after you die. If you launch soon enough you can escape most of the AAA and the only question is the dweebs in the uber 5" ack.

That said I've seen plenty of torps hit turning CVs. How much was luck and how much was estimation, adjust, aim, etc... I can't say.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
I never claimed that it was easy or the "best" way to go about sinking a CV, in fact I specifically said that it's not the most efficient method in that regard. 

More to the point it doesn't matter if it is or isn't.  Trying to sink a ship with a torpedo can be FUN, and if you succeed it feels pretty damned good. 

Sometimes it's not about taking the easy road, trying something that is difficult and succeeding despite failures a long the way can be a lot more rewarding for some folks.  I'm not sugar coating anything about the odds but I'm not going to tell someone NOT to do something just because it could be hard.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.