Author Topic: Time to build again!  (Read 531 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Time to build again!
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
My last system is 4 years old, still going strong, but its time to upgrade. Got a bit of a windfall from my folks for Christmas, so I can afford to build a good one. Would prefer to look in the 7-750$ bracket but could go to 800 if needed.

Do not need monitor, mouse, keyboard.

I'm planning on an Antec case, had a chance to build a system into one last year and I was impressed.
Looking at 300 or 300 illusion at 50-60$

Recommendations for Video card esp appreciated.

In the past I've prefered ATI video, asrock mboards.

Thanks in advance

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Re: Time to build again!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
I have the Asrock p67 Extreme4 gen3 MB and I love the heck out it. I have it tied with an i5 2600k Oc'd to 4.4 and tied in with 2 470gtx vid cards. I will be doing an upgrade in the future for some vid cards myself but I am waiting till I get back to working. I want 2 of these SLi'd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130601

I know I can afford it when I get paid from Uncle Sam and by that time I will be back to work so I will get 2 of them.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
i highly recomend a AMD video card mine has been through hell and back its had soda water spilt on it, its overclocked running ONLY STOCK fan and still never gets higher than 150* F WITH ONLY ONE FAN! over clocked at GPU clock at 830 Mhz and memory clock at 1500Mhz bare in mind this is only a stock HD RADON 5670. and stock is at 775MHz GPU clock and 1000 Mhz memeory clock. if it didnt have been through so much i would max the GPU clock and memory clock. VERY HAPPY with this video card however it is old and can run aces high at its fullest
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:46:20 PM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
lawn doesn't need video cards, he just has an ntu bug.  :uhoh

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »
My humble 2 cents. Start with an icore 5 - 2500k. Cannot go wrong.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
Check out NZXT cases. I will never buy anything else....besides maybe the 800D.
Nothing against Antec, but NZXT rocks.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
The 6850 and 460 are about the same. They go head to head, just depneds on the system and the application your running . The same goes for the 560 ti and the 6950.

The difference in the 1 and 2 gig of vram on the GPU is the 2 gig vram will be noticeably better when running higher resolution and very graphic intense applications. If only to run AH, a 2 gig gpu may not have any better effect then to run a 1gig vram gpu.

Nvidia seems to have higher frame rates with lower resolutions whereas ATI seems to shine a bit more ( better frame rates) with higher resolutions, but again depends on system and application running on PC.

Nvidia has physx and cuda. ATI has eyeinfinity.

Cuda is a code which can be written into programs which is suppose to make the gpu more efficient the way I read it. How much of cuda code would be wrote into software in the future?

If you plan on running sli or crossfirex in the future, keep in mind by adding a 1 gig card and a 1 gig card you don't get 2 gig of vram. You get as much as the first card. Also some people are having problems with microstuttering with dual card setups. ( goto tomshardware) The again guess it epends on what the system is and what application your running on the PC.

IMO opinion a single card solution is best.

The nvidia 560 is just a beefed up 460.

Theres the new 560ti with 448 cores for about 300. I never looked it up.  Also there the  other higher end cards: 6970, 570, 580. (out of my price range)

Ati is also suppose to come out with new 7000 cards pretty soon, next 3 months or so I guess.

Some of the 6950 still can be flashed over to 6970. Better due research before even thinking of doing that. SOme of the cards have been fixed so they cannot be flashed over.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:04:29 AM »
Cuda is a code which can be written into programs which is suppose to make the gpu more efficient the way I read it. How much of cuda code would be wrote into software in the future?

Actually cuda is a programming interface that lets developers use the GPU for data processing. It's very fast on certain types of calculations that are typically needed for simulations or scientic calculations.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »
Actually cuda is a programming interface that lets developers use the GPU for data processing. It's very fast on certain types of calculations that are typically needed for simulations or scientic calculations.
Thanks for correcting me..
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
My last system is 4 years old, still going strong, but its time to upgrade. Got a bit of a windfall from my folks for Christmas, so I can afford to build a good one. Would prefer to look in the 7-750$ bracket but could go to 800 if needed.

Do not need monitor, mouse, keyboard.

I'm planning on an Antec case, had a chance to build a system into one last year and I was impressed.
Looking at 300 or 300 illusion at 50-60$

Recommendations for Video card esp appreciated.

In the past I've prefered ATI video, asrock mboards.

Thanks in advance

Dell has a sweet deal until December 22, 2011 and $300 off---Alienware Aurora, for $1399.  Expandable for more money.

E-Value Code 6F999-DPPCSZ1

Not quite what I want, but almost and not just for Aces High.  I want a GTX 580 video card, alone is $500.

It is out of your price range, though.  It is expandable, but how much expandable using a Micro-ATX board?

Dell always puts xtra crap on their machines.  Easy enough to remove it.

I want a 3D monitor, though.