Author Topic: Looking for some P51 training and films  (Read 839 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Looking for some P51 training and films
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
I've been flying the P51 this tour, just as a change of pace.  Pure Boom & Zoom fighting is fairly easy.  But I would like to work with a trainer on flying the plane more aggressively against what might be considered more agile planes.

So...  Any trainers( or anyone else ) who like flying the P51?  I am located in the Central Time zone and can be avvailable most days from roughly noon until 9pm.

I would also love to get some films of P51's fighting aggressively if anyone has some to share.

Thanks in advance!   :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Looking for some P51 training and films
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
Don't know if he reads this forum, but TonyJoey would be a great person to ask how to fight in a p51... :aok
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
best way man grab one and go to DA and beat the snot out of it....simple man....... but honestly it is mediocre slow flying....it is meant to be fast, it is just a tool designed for a specific choir, what you are doing is using it for what it was not designed for.....which is cool but to really succeed in that plane in the MA keep her fast....she turns incredible at high speed....

P51 is not my plane of choice for flying....but I will go to the DA/TA with ya to help ya figure it out....TA would be better at first...to really get down and dirty and push it with out having to reroll....

watching vids and reading is all good and dandy but unless you put it into practice....well you know that,  its how you learn truly.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
best way man grab one and go to DA and beat the snot out of it....simple man....... but honestly it is mediocre slow flying....it is meant to be fast, it is just a tool designed for a specific choir, what you are doing is using it for what it was not designed for.....which is cool but to really succeed in that plane in the MA keep her fast....she turns incredible at high speed....

P51 is not my plane of choice for flying....but I will go to the DA/TA with ya to help ya figure it out....TA would be better at first...to really get down and dirty and push it with out having to reroll....

watching vids and reading is all good and dandy but unless you put it into practice....well you know that,  its how you learn truly.

I totally get what you are saying.  I agree, it's a real dog once you burn off all your E.  I've been flying it in the MA for a few days now.  I've been making a real effort to use energy saving manuevers rather then simple hard banking....  Lots of yo-yo's, and lag rolls.

Basically, I'm trying very hard to enter the fight fast and stay as fast as I can for as long as I can while still pressing the attack hard enough that the opponent can't simply dodge and reset dodge and reset.  Over the years, there have been a few folks that could really throw the Pony around aggressively like that.  That's what I am hoping to improve at.

On another note...  What do you think is the minimum speed a pilot should strive for in the P51D?...  A floor, so to speak...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
don't get her below 300....kinda guessing here because even when I fly the pony I am TnB her  :D

when you make passes on someone don't extend more then 3K.... less is even better, if you keep pressing the attack you will not allow them to regain there E.

if you see me online lets go beat the crap out of her  :joystick:

Remember I am JETSOM in game now :old:

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
don't get her below 300....kinda guessing here because even when I fly the pony I am TnB her  :D

when you make passes on someone don't extend more then 3K.... less is even better, if you keep pressing the attack you will not allow them to regain there E.

if you see me online lets go beat the crap out of her  :joystick:

Remember I am JETSOM in game now :old:

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you.   :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline kudzu31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
I agree that 280-320 is a good 'floor' speed-wise...as I use the Pony nearly exclusively. Seems there are more platforms that can run it down on egress
but that is  subjective

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
I don't think you need to stay above corner speed to be successful in a P-51. Typically you want enough speed to go vertical or to pull 2.5 G in a turn and this is usually around 200 MPH in a WW2 fighter. Taking 300 as a minimum just limits your options too much.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »
When I fly the Pony I love to get low and slow.  Its not made for it but some people can make it work!  Its super fun to fly good luck bud.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »
Jazzi, Bar, J0KER, the list goes on.  That's one plane you shouldn't have any trouble getting help with.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »
anytime mate!
now posting as SirNuke