Author Topic: Changing computers  (Read 292 times)

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
Changing computers
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
As titled, I am switching over to a new computer. Is there any reason to think I will lose every setting I have because of this? I have downloaded (forever ago) and installed a soundpack, so if I move my Aces High folder to an external drive, and reload from there onto the new computer, will it properly function or will I need to entirely re-download the game in entirety?

Thanks for any help

Bob

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: Changing computers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
You'll need to redownload the game. Folders I keep for backup are:

Maps
Settings
Sights
Skins
Sounds
Squads
Stickdef

and I always forget to back this one up:

Ahiiterr

Then simply copy and paste into the install folder on the new install.  Everything should be fine.  Simply copying the entire game folder over to a new computer will not work, registry keys aren't added and all that good stuff, so you do need to install.  Once those files are copied over, your settings should be the same.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
The "video8.cfg" file contains the video settings for the current computer.  Not a good idea to move it from one to another one.

Also the "sndgrp.cfg" (if it exists), "sysinfo.cfg", and "world.cfg" should not be moved from the old computer either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
Thanks to you both for the help. Sounds like time to update my sounds fule with a new one then anyway. Maybe twinboom has a newer version. I am hopeful my new sydstem will be capable as right now it will not have a dedicated card but a6 had6530d graphics as part of the cpu. They look capable enough, certainly more powerful then my present setup. :)

Bob

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »
I wouldnt move the joystick settings in the settings folder either.  I tried that on the same computer when I reinstalled windows and it wouldnt work right.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
I wouldnt move the joystick settings in the settings folder either.  I tried that on the same computer when I reinstalled windows and it wouldnt work right.

semp

Odd.  It should work as long as you calibrate the stick, in the game, on the new computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
You'll need to redownload the game. Folders I keep for backup are:

Maps
Settings
Sights
Skins
Sounds
Squads
Stickdef

and I always forget to back this one up:

Ahiiterr

Then simply copy and paste into the install folder on the new install.  Everything should be fine.  Simply copying the entire game folder over to a new computer will not work, registry keys aren't added and all that good stuff, so you do need to install.  Once those files are copied over, your settings should be the same.

I went with moving stickdef, sounds and settings. this should allow me to use the same sounds, and not have to fully reconfigure my saitek x52, correct?
Also, to move them into the new version oon the new computer, just rename the original folders and place these in their sd?