Author Topic: Saints a dirty team..in 2010 You betcha  (Read 666 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Saints a dirty team..in 2010 You betcha
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »
I guess I'm not making the connection between killing people (mob hits) and getting a bonus for doing your job well (hitting the opponent on the ball field).

Oh well...

:headscratch:

Nope you are not as those hits were to injure the player enough to take him out of the game.

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
That shows a pretty wicked sense of morality IMHO. Yet it is to be expected. So much money is at stake, ppl will go to any length.
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 02:58:22 AM »
what about the superbowl  when the dirtiest defense steelers vs seahawks?  :headscratch:  hasselbeck was on top of his game and ready to whoop the steelers arse but somehow on accident a steeler defender took hasselbeck out, hit him on the knee.  :headscratch:
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:44 AM »
It's called headhunting, and it's as old as the game itself.

I still don't see what all  the whining is about.
See Rule #4

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
what about the superbowl  when the dirtiest defense steelers vs seahawks?  :headscratch:  hasselbeck was on top of his game and ready to whoop the steelers arse but somehow on accident a steeler defender took hasselbeck out, hit him on the knee.  :headscratch:

What are you talking about? Hasslbeck played the whole game. You must be referring to Carson Palmer, In the AFC wild card that year. Kimo Von olhaffen rolled up on palmers knee, the next year they changed the rules. Mind you, the same thing happened to roethlisberger earlier that year against the chargers.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »

I was always under the impression that football is a full contact sport.  I guess offering incentives for doing your job well doesn't jibe with what the league evidently figures is more a money making entertainment type of sport than anything else.   Might as well move the commisioners office to Hollywood and put flags on the players instead of pads.   

just my $.02
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »

I was always under the impression that football is a full contact sport.  I guess offering incentives for doing your job well doesn't jibe with what the league evidently figures is more a money making entertainment type of sport than anything else.   Might as well move the commisioners office to Hollywood and put flags on the players instead of pads.   

just my $.02

There is a difference between doing your job well and going out to intentionally injure someone enough so they are knocked out of the game. Because with the kind of hits we are talking about. Such as the one on Favre in the Championship  game Or as someone mentioned the one on Hasselbeck where you are going for the knee. Your not just knocking them out of the game. But potentially ending their careers. Going at the knees has been considered dirty pool even back when was a teenager and I played. Hell even when we got together to play what we called "Blood Ball" we didnt go after anyones knees.

Nobody. Even the players themselves want to see the hard hits go away. But there are certain things you just dont do. Such as that, and clothes lining.

Rules being installed for the sately of the players is almost as old as the game itself. The reason why many of the rules we have in football since it infancy were for safety purposes because none other then Teddy Roosevelt got involved and threatened to abolish the game by way of executive order if they could not find a way to make it less brutal.
It is why they no longer use the Flying wedge and other mass formations. Why there is a line of scrimmage and neutral zone. Why a certain number of men have to be on the line of scrimmage. Why you go 10 yards for a first down. and why there is a forward pass. Why the game is 1 hour and played in 2 halves.

All these rules came about in an effort to make the game safer because people were actually dying.

http://symonsez.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/when-a-president-threatened-to-abolish-football-in-the-united-states/

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
If you think the Saints are the only team putting out hits, then you are behaving very naively.

Really, think about it.

Well if you don't see the connection then there is no trying to explain it to you.

To condone that behavior in any sport is poor sportmanship. If you have to intentionally try to hurt someone else to make yourself look good... then your not really that good after all.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
  As a Patriot fan Im appalled at this poor sportsmanship. :P

~AoM~

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »
  As a Patriot fan Im appalled at this poor sportsmanship. :P

I met Dick Butkus once. His hobbies include flower arranging, cooking, and holding wine and cheese parties for the Intellectually elite. He said he's appalled by all the violence in the game and always has been. :headscratch:
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »
What are you talking about? Hasslbeck played the whole game. You must be referring to Carson Palmer, In the AFC wild card that year. Kimo Von olhaffen rolled up on palmers knee, the next year they changed the rules. Mind you, the same thing happened to roethlisberger earlier that year against the chargers.
nope it was in the superbowl-forgot what year- but it was in the superbowl, during the coin flip hasselbeck cud be heard after they won the coin toss saying " YOU READY TO LOSE!!" right to lil baby ben's face. think in second qrtr that "accident" happened by the steeler defender doing a bounty on hasselbecks leg.
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!