Author Topic: HDMI vs Display port  (Read 1011 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: HDMI vs Display port
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
"Is a display port connection going to give you a better picture?"

Just to make it clear: back in the old days when the signal went to CRT monitors in analog mode the quality of the signal could have an impact how good picture you got. Nowadays as the signal is purely digital the signal quality is not really an issue, if the data gets through there will be a picture, if the data is corrupted there will be no picture. You won't notice any difference in picture if the resolution and color depth stay the same, no matter which of these digital display connections you use. The picture quality is set by the quality of you display panel or the quality of the signal feeding device, not by their digital connection.

It's just about the bandwidth that the port characteristics and cabling can support that sets the limits in supported resolutions and content, such as audio.

DVI max. 2,098 × 1,311 @ 60Hz
HDMI max. HDMI    2560×1600 @ 60Hz (+HDCP)
Displayport max. 3840 × 2160 @ 60Hz(+HDCP,+DPCP)

Just a very simplified summary.

-C+

Hah are you saying I paid $300 for nothing for my monster cable hdmi?  :O
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »

Yes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
Yes.

Ouch. What's next? You'll claim that the $1500 Krell optical audio cable I bought was worthless too!  :bhead
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
Not a claim, but a truth.  Any packetized digital protocol either has good data or bad data.  If the medium gets it there, the data is the same.  The only thing one could possibly gain is fewer bit errors, but that would be remote as long as the physical medium is twisted pair copper.

Analog signals over wire are where a better quality cable may help.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
I guess sarcasm is hard to detect  :neener:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

dood,  didn't you see the 2200 cable at bestbuy?  that thing definitely will improve the image 1000%.  and I believe they make it in two colors now.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
I bought a £15 HDMI cable because guy in shop said the data from the card does not vary, someone gave me a gold plated nice looking HDMI cable it did exacly the same :)

My HDMI port on HD6970 is plop by the way, if you touch the cable it goes off :P

Apparently its crap components from ATI.

When i get a new pc I think i will get Intel and Nvidia.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
I bought a £15 HDMI cable because guy in shop said the data from the card does not vary, someone gave me a gold plated nice looking HDMI cable it did exacly the same :)

My HDMI port on HD6970 is plop by the way, if you touch the cable it goes off :P

Apparently its crap components from ATI.

When i get a new pc I think i will get Intel and Nvidia.

Just pointing it out, not all ATI or NVidia cards are created equal.  Different manufacturers HD6970s can have widely different build quality.  ATI/NVidia are merely the chipsets they use to create the card.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
yes i know now :)

i am going to take a couple of months research when i buy my new pc :)

The GFC

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
"You'll claim that the $1500 Krell optical audio cable I bought was worthless too!"

Absolutely not. The zeros are a bit rounder and the ones are a bit straighter and sharper and surely in correct order and not fuzzed by random reflections. Makes it easier for D/A converters to do their job. Also remember to use oxygen-free cabling to speakers so the notes will have their natural lush and splendour. Also make sure your wife wears red and dog has no lice when you sit on the sofa with a good cigar and a glass of perfect whiskey and insert Bach J.S Matthäus Passion BWV 244, Nicolaus Harnoncourt, Warner. It may take a while but you'll certainly hear the difference.  :D

Damn you Rip.  :lol'

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
yes i know now :)

i am going to take a couple of months research when i buy my new pc :)

Cool.  I'm not a brand-loyalty type of guy for the most part, I just saw your post and wanted to make sure you were making your decisions for the right reasons.  IE-Buying a cheap Nvidia runs the same risk as buying a cheap ATI. :) 

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
yup nvidia/ati  whichever way you go is your choice.  but may recommend this to connect your card to your monitor.  it has been discounted 50% from last year and it comes in two different colors.   read the customer's comments.  it's the highest rated cable which is an improvement over the crappy cable that they send with either vc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+-+Chocolate+65.6%27+HDMI+Cable+-+Platinum+White/9892794.p?skuId=9892794&id=1218202121644#tabbed-customerreviews

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »
A very expensive cable :)

In regards to spending money i have a opinion :)

In the UK if you spend all your money on booze and get your housing paid for by the state when you retire the state pays for your care home, if you buy your house and save your money the state will make you sell your house and use your assetts to pay for care :rofl

I intend to spend everything i have on the best cables i can find, in fact i will buy three cables and throw two away :rofl

My HD6970 was not cheap to be honest, i am looking at a alien gaming pc. :)

"Nothing like debt to get a man up in the morning" :)
"They will get sore eye's looking for my money"

The GFC