Author Topic: Pilot experience and skill level  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Pilot experience and skill level
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »
im sorry lusche but there are many outliers to this graph. such as people attacking in fighter mode, people who dont care for K/D (aka they bail out if needed elsewhere, they get into fights to push the limit for the fun and result in lower K/D K/S etc. Many pilots above this 10 month point still limit their K/D and such for certain reasons.

This would not apply to all but i believe if many pilots began pushing for the kills over deaths this graph would change drastically.

That's why I'm saying that it cannot be used to judge the individual pilot in a quick way. But over a group of several thousand players, many things even out - the one shooting buildings in fighter mode and the one killing bombers almost exclusively, for example. A single pilot's up and downs in his stats depending on plane choice and style of playing is basically just background noise.

But if all players would push for K/D, the K/D itself wouldn't change that much (after all, they are still fighter each other and it's hardly possible that everybody is getting more kills and less deaths), but the k/h would suffer. In the end, the chart is not about possibilities but a picture of the things as they are. And it shows a very significant and coherent progression over the time all across the board for the population as a whole.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »
I just went and looked at the stats for this tour.  According to the plane stats overall K/D for the tour is 1.00.  Thats everyone in the arena doing everything.

I pulled out the kills in Ship Gunners and Chutes and it was still 0.945 so I pulled out the bombers, goons, gunners and storks... 1.034

Next the vehicles go:  1.08

I'm not sure where 0.5 or 0.75 K/D or whatever it is is coming up for "Mr. Average".  According the the AH stats page it's about 1 K/D across the arena.

The main reason why the median is lower: It's a few players with very high K/Ds vs the mass of players with very low K/Ds
In addition to that, the plane stats pages shows kills& deaths in all modes, will my chart depicts only fighter mode stats taken from the score sheets of the players.

Offline TWC_Angel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2012, 02:27:33 AM »
So..Ok. This talk about Pilot Experience and skill. Has been freakin a great thread to thumb through.
I guess you could say i started back in 2003 a 68Angel. Tho i had toyed around with it the year before..(i was only like 16)
Take a look back at
Scores for 68Angel in Tour 38 XD omg  :old:
k/d fighter
Kills per Death + 1    0.65    (2114) <-----Like wow.
68KO then took me under his wing gave me a foundation.

Anyways long story short, almost reaching 9/10 years of on-off game play
TWCAngel in Late War Tour 148
k/d fighter
Kills per Death + 1    2.10    (377)

This something i should be proud of? or am i just above average in the bracket?  <---truly curious...Any opinions? (wears flame retardant asbestos)  :banana:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:30:22 AM by TWC_Angel »
IGN: Angel
DGSII: I./JG1
-=Top*Gun=-
"Guaranteed, knock-down-dragged-out dogfight.       
       Every time."    ((♥ That 190))

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »
This something i should be proud of?

Yes. Being part of AH for so many years :)

:salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2012, 02:39:29 AM »

The main reason why the median is lower: It's a few players with very high K/Ds vs the mass of players with very low K/Ds
In addition to that, the plane stats pages shows kills& deaths in all modes, will my chart depicts only fighter mode stats taken from the score sheets of the players.

So he's not really Mr Average... he's Mr Median.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:01 AM »
So he's not really Mr Average... he's Mr Median.

Mr Median, the average guy :)

If you would make a ranking chart of all those palyers, he would be right in the middle of it. And that's what we would commonly call Mr Average, and not a guy located in the top 1/3rd

----

To illustrate the difference:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:46:28 AM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:04 AM »
This is an example how the stats are distributed over the "10+" group from the first chart:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:16:34 AM by Lusche »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »
Snail could you break down the group from about 1.5+ kd. I want to see if the few very high numbers are aberrations or if they have lots of kills...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »
Just seen one unmentioned squad with MANY long time players bring a crapload of attack planes to take a base with just one goon and fail. Not so much because it was a bad plan but because most of them can't directly hit a thing. (plane or ground object)

One guy fully loaded should be able to kill any ground object in one pass except a shore bat or HQ that I can think of.

I have observed the same, Tool.  It's also true in bombers.  Granted, there are players who in jabos and buffs hit their targets.  I guess missing becomes part of the game for them.

Once in awhile, I'll put up a mission and it's all 1 pass.  Delightful when that happens.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »
Snail could you break down the group from about 1.5+ kd. I want to see if the few very high numbers are aberrations or if they have lots of kills...

All pilots with K/D 1.5+ was too many for a chart, so I concentrated on the about 100 with K/D 5+:

Y axis is the players and their fighter mode k/d, the X axis shows their respective number of kills

And I just noticed that I'm the one on that chart with the most kills in fighter mode... That probably makes it the most elaborately set up Look-at-me! thread ever  :noid

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »
Skill cant really be judged only on how much the given person have played but rather on how he/she played.
Also i know oldtimers who have a good K/D but would die in 1v1 in just a couple turns, yet others who die just as much as kill, they would still sweep the floor with me.
Many things can be numerized, but skill isnt amongst them. I would rather call it "effectiveness".

Eh, its just a matter of the eyepoint anyway. What do you call skill? Im just a d**k again, sorry.
I agree with you.  I am not one of the uber sticks, but I can hold my own with all but the top tier.  I found (with exception) the ones with the highest K/D tend to be excellent in the skills of BNZ and picking.  If you get them 1v1, or co-e, they tend to die easily.  There "skill" depends on speed, accuracy, but not defensive moves...they don't get much chance to practice. 

Skill is in the eye of the beholder.  FLK4 was tops in vehicles in tour 148, DR7 was 462.  Not to take anything away from flk, but it's hard to argue that DR7 is one mean tanker.  He just plays differently than flk4.  Numbers don't always tell an accurate story unless you want numbers to define talent. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
nah splash'n'dash was common in WWII, nothing wrong with rearming.

I stand corrected.

Then just make each rearmed flight a separate sortie.  ;)
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
I stand corrected.

Parking on the runway and making a brand new plane appear on the runway with the click of a mouse wasn't an option back in WW2.

And I just noticed that I'm the one on that chart with the most kills in fighter mode... That probably makes it the most elaborately set up Look-at-me! thread ever  :noid

Size doesn't matter

:noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
I'm just disappointed that it wasn't a pie chart...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
Met a guy a few months ago who had played the game for over a year and did not know he could set his views apart from the default to his liking.

Another had no clue you could set convergences and yet another decade old player did not know he could set enemy skins to whatever he wanted.

Just to set record straight on myself. I still don't know how to use most dot commands......but I never miss a shot because of it heheh

played for a year before i found out there was a bulletin board.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.