Author Topic: One for the High-Level Bombers  (Read 780 times)

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
One for the High-Level Bombers
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
I know -- "milkers", "toolshedders", "astronauts", whatever!

But, since the latest update, when bombing from 18k on up to about 24k, targets do not generate on screen nearly as early as they did before.  And that's with detailed terrain turned off (since I don't have an ubersystem) and my ground detail adjusted to the max.  Somtimes the targets don't materialize until right before the crosshairs with the scope on full-zoom.

That may be OK for carpet-bombers, but it has put a serious cramp in precision bombers' style, especially if one is trying to line up more than one target on a given run.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Or do I need to do more adjusting on my settings?  Is HTC planning on improving the long-vis on these things?  Is there a way to have those targets more defined, earlier, despite ground detail setting?

Just some questions from another part of the community.
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: One for the High-Level Bombers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
I was hitting radar towers from 39,000 feet with a single 50kg (x3) bomb in the online arenas.

No, neither of those are typos, I would say its your settings or something on your end.

<S> Strip

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
Hello Buffers

:noid
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
I was hitting radar towers from 39,000 feet with a single 50kg (x3) bomb in the online arenas.

No, neither of those are typos, I would say its your settings or something on your end.

<S> Strip

Thanks, Strip!  Were you running detailed terrain or no?  If you need to run detailed terrain (which a bunch of people still can't), I would think it needs to be fixed.  Right?
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »
But, since the latest update, when bombing from 18k on up to about 24k, targets do not generate on screen nearly as early as they did before.  And that's with detailed terrain turned off (since I don't have an ubersystem) and my ground detail adjusted to the max.  Somtimes the targets don't materialize until right before the crosshairs with the scope on full-zoom.
I had similar experience from just below cloud deck ~17k.  All advanced details off, except bump mapping.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »
Turn your object detail up as well....

Just tried it at 39,000 with every thing off, everything on the field looked identical to high settings.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
Just tried it and object detail needs to be set on high in order to get the best view.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »

That may be OK for carpet-bombers, but it has put a serious cramp in precision bombers' style, especially if one is trying to line up more than one target on a given run.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Or do I need to do more adjusting on my settings?  Is HTC planning on improving the long-vis on these things?  Is there a way to have those targets more defined, earlier, despite ground detail setting?

Both sliders full left with terrain off  :aok  can even pin point every ack position from 20k....if you need to.

2.2 amd 3000+
1gig ram
3840 512 ATI

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »

Quit playing with your other joystick. You're going blind.  :O :rofl :O
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:40 AM »
Quit playing with your other joystick. You're going blind.  :O :rofl :O

No I'm Not!
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:09:05 AM »
CC on the full ground detail!  I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for all the help guys.  I guess this thread will have to be locked since nobody called anybody names or insulted their intelligence or ancestry.  Or could it be that bomber pilots don't have to compensate for any manly shortcomings? :uhoh

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 03:19:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEURyjB3Lc&fmt=18
Second episode's ok, but you'll have to look for it yourself..
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:21:12 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEURyjB3Lc&fmt=18
Second episode's ok, but you'll have to look for it yourself..

ROFLMFAO, Moot!  Watched it and found the second episode.  They make my point perfectly!

Someone needs to do that with AH!

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
 :aok :rofl :rofl   FRIGGIN AWESOME
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.