Author Topic: CV Tower view  (Read 463 times)

Offline bc21

• Copper Member
CV Tower view
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
I wish we had a "game" clock in the CV tower like the shore tower. :aok

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: CV Tower view
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
I wish with both the CV and the field towers you could step outside for a better look. I know CVs had that open deck to observe flight operations. Actually, on the bridge they could step out on decks for almost a full 360 degree view. With field towers, I think ours is modeled after the standard tower used in England, which had an open deck for a clear 360 degree view. Why is this limited in both cases?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
I wish with both the CV and the field towers you could step outside for a better look. I know CVs had that open deck to observe flight operations. Actually, on the bridge they could step out on decks for almost a full 360 degree view. With field towers, I think ours is modeled after the standard tower used in England, which had an open deck for a clear 360 degree view. Why is this limited in both cases?

Boo

Hit F5 then F8 then use your arrow keys.  Wish granted.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
Hit F5 then F8 then use your arrow keys.  Wish granted.

Ooops!  :bhead

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
I know CVs had that open deck to observe flight operations.

We have too. When on CV, just go to 'Oclub'.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
still no clock though.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
The only way to see the game clock on a CV is to go into the "pickup missions" section. It would be nice to have a clock in the tower...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
     Not trying to be wise, but what do you use a clock for?  I mean other than what you could use a wall clock or wristwatch for.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
     Not trying to be wise, but what do you use a clock for?  I mean other than what you could use a wall clock or wristwatch for.

If you want to join a mission from a CV, and it's set to take off at 14:30, it would be nice to see the current game time so you know how long you have before it launches (beer run, potty break, etc).
My Current Rig:

Offline bc21

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
If you want to join a mission from a CV, and it's set to take off at 14:30, it would be nice to see the current game time so you know how long you have before it launches (beer run, potty break, etc).

Ya what he said! Also good for FSO start times. :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

doesnt when you join the mission tell you how long you have?  btw I thought the missions were in real time and not game time.  game time is faster.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
doesnt when you join the mission tell you how long you have?  btw I thought the missions were in real time and not game time.  game time is faster.

midway

IIRC, the mission screen tells you the current time, the mission start time, and how long after the start that you can join.

Like many others, I'd see that the mission starts at 14:30 and current game time is 14:10 (so I have 20 minutes to wait). I'd rather not sit at that screen the whole time just to keep tabs on the game clock.

The game clock is set for a time multiplier of 1.0 (realtime). In custom arenas and the Special Events arenas, that can be set to any value. We've done that on rare occasion for an event that takes off in the afternoon and lands two hours later at night (to simulate a long, grueling 6+ hour mission). Messing with the time multiplier can really screw with people's heads, especially if they are coordinating strikes from multiple bases to hit a target at specific times, so a multiplier of 1.0 is the norm.

I've watched the game clock during FSO events that I run, and over prolonged periods of time it perhaps is a couple of seconds off, but generally is spot-on for the two-hour duration. I'd be shocked if the game time is so far off that over the course of an afternoon playing in the MA that it would be very far off from start to finish.
My Current Rig:

Offline bc21

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
All Im asking for is a "game clock" in the tower view of the CV. It helps with start times for FSO and such. I live on the west coast and some times the start time for the FSO is 10-15 Min off real time(top of the hour) So if I miss labeled this request forgive me please!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
No sweat, bc21. Just like practically every thread, the discussions often wander off on tangents (some are even slightly related to the original post  ;))

To address you comment about FSO sometimes starting 10-15 minutes past the top of the hour...we generally set the game clock 5 minutes behind the real time, to start the event 5 minutes past the hour. The fields open when the game time reaches the designed start time. It always seems many people jump into the arena in the last 10 minutes or so before the top of the hour, and that built-in extra 5 minutes really helps us CM's get everything in order.

As I said before, I also would like a clock in the CV tower, because sometimes during the event (if I happen to be working it instead of flying in it) I like to jump around to watch some of the action; but I still need to see what the actual game time is.
My Current Rig: