Author Topic: Gigabyte VVS and other stuff....  (Read 318 times)

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Gigabyte VVS and other stuff....
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
A couple of questions regarding a new build.

For those of you familiar with Gigabyte's Virtual VSync and HyperFormance moboard features what's the concensus with regard to AH performance?  Good? Bad? Gimicks?  I'm looking at a new build with Gigabyte's GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB as one of the possible motherboard selections (paired with an OC'd i5 3570k CPU and GTX 670 2GB graphics card) and was curious as to whether or not these "features" should enter into the equation.

This board also has a built-in mSATA slot to act as an SSD Cache (a small capacity mSATA SSD card mounts right to the moboard). It'll function strictly as a cache vice a storage device (i.e., nothing is permanently installed on it). I'll probably add a large SSD sometime in the future but until then would the mSATA cache be a worthwhile performance enhancement?  Is the mSATA required for Intel Rapid Start and Smart Response?

Thanks
v/r Mace

Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: Gigabyte VVS and other stuff....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
From what I have read the lucid virtual Vsync helps more with lower and midrange cards. I don't know from experience. I did try messing with it a little bit and I have not seen any difference. I have the same board without the WB.I also use a xfx 6950. I don't use the vsync.
I have not used the msata no comment there. I do use a ocz vertex 4 ssd. OCZ also has a 5 year warranty while the other ssd's I have seen use a 3year.

IMO, though I have not used the msata intel rapid start caching. I would save the money and get a SSD. At least 128GB.

I use the SSD for the OS and software programs I use the most. Its just a few not many. The rest of the software programs I put on the harddrive. I don't see any gains by using msata for programs not used on a regular basis.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:36:12 AM by cattb »
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty