Author Topic: A Sad Day: Submariners from WWII a Dwindling Group  (Read 323 times)

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
A Sad Day: Submariners from WWII a Dwindling Group
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

:salute
NEW LONDON, Conn. –  The submarine veterans of World War II have seen this coming for a long time.

At their national convention this month, 62 veterans attended where thousands used to go.

The U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II disbanded at the end of its convention Sept. 7 in Norfolk, Va. Local chapters now must decide whether to continue operating under another name or to dissolve as well.

This month in Groton, J. "Deen" Brown announced to his fellow WWII submarine veterans that the Thames River Chapter has a new name.

"Eastern USA Chapter U.S. Submarine Veterans of WWII," he told members before their monthly luncheon at the U.S. Submarine Veterans clubhouse.

"We simply have to face the fact that we're all getting older and, as we do so, eventually we simply cannot remain a viable national organization," said Brown, 90, of Oakdale.

Walter "Gus" Kraus, the last national president, said the veterans who wanted to keep the national group going "until the last man is gone" prevailed in a vote three years ago. Two years ago, the vote was split.

By this year's convention, some of the stalwarts had died, or their friends had. Of the 1,100 members, the youngest is 86. The oldest is 102.

"I hope we will continue to be remembered for many, many years to come."

- George Jones, WWII submariner

It was difficult for the national organization to find members able to serve as officers and to complete all of the administrative tasks. In their last roster, published 10 years ago, the pages listing the deceased members outnumbered those listing active members.

"The guys said, `I was all for staying. My shipmate came to the convention with me. He's gone now and I don't feel like coming,"' said Kraus, 91, of Crescent Springs, Ky.

The national organization was established in 1955 to honor submarine veterans who served in World War II. Submarines were just 2 percent of the Navy's fleet then, but subs sank more than 30 percent of the Japanese navy and nearly 5 million tons of shipping. About 16,000 men served on submarine war patrols. The submarine force lost 52 boats and more than 3,500 men.

After the sixth annual reunion of the national submarine veterans group, the membership grew rapidly. Memorials were erected.

"There are memorials all over this country they've created," said retired Vice Adm. Al Konetzni, who has long been close with the World War II veterans even though he is not of that era. "These guys started in 1955 doing this for their buddies, so they would not be forgotten. It's a wonderful story of self-image. They said, `Hey, we're going to do it, and we will do it."'

Kraus said the sub veterans considered themselves a unique group and that uniqueness forged a strong bond. The end of the organization, he said, also represents the "end of an era where we were able to get together and blow our own horn, remembering the circumstances under which we fought."

Konetzni, who gave the keynote speech at the closing ceremony, said in an interview that the World War II veterans "lived the horror" and "lived the glory," but they do not need the administrative burdens of a federally chartered organization to preserve their memories.

"They will never be forgotten, ever, ever, ever," said Konetzni, a former deputy commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command and the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. "They gave us our traditions and our spirit. They were our leaders."

Brown, who was state commander in the national organization, said the veterans who live locally enjoy getting together and want to continue as a group.
The new name is intentionally broad, Brown said, because they expect veterans to join from other states when chapters disband.

About 120 World War II submariners live in Connecticut. After Brown announced the national organization's decision and the name change at the luncheon, Warren Wildes said, "It was time."

Wildes, 86, of Groton was eating with LeRoy Webb, 88, of Mystic.

"I hate to see them do it but the day had to come sooner or later," Webb said.

He told Wildes he had just read in "Polaris," the official magazine of the organization, that a chief on the USS Moray, one of the submarines he had served on during the war, had died.

"I used to take his girlfriend's picture and put it under my pillow," he said with a laugh at the prank he used to pull to irritate the chief.

Webb said he served on 15 submarines in his career and was away so much that when his wife was asked how long she had been married, she cut the time in half.

Both Webb and Wildes said they thought it was great that the local group would continue to meet.

"We look forward to seeing our buddies every month and swapping lies," Wildes said.

"Sometimes you hear the same stories over and over again," Webb said. "But they're still interesting."

Many of the World War II submariners are also members of the U.S. Submarine Veterans Inc., which is open to all U.S. Navy submariners. The younger ones in that group began maintaining the memorials and conducting ceremonies when the World War II veterans could no longer do it.

The local World War II veterans turned over the upkeep of the U.S. Submarine Veterans WWII National Submarine Memorial East to the Subvets Groton base and the city of Groton in 2005, said John Carcioppolo, base commander. Subvets willingly took on the responsibility.

"The World War II guys are part of our heritage," Carcioppolo said. "And it's up to us to preserve that heritage."

George Jones, 92, another World War II submariner who attended the luncheon, said it's important to him that the memorial is well taken care of because his friends' names are on its Wall of Honor.

"I lost a lot of friends during the war and I came close myself," Jones, of Waterford, said. "I hope we will continue to be remembered for many, many years to come."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/23/world-war-ii-submarine-veterans-forced-to-disband-national-group/#ixzz27JU7NaWb

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Re: A Sad Day: Submariners from WWII a Dwindling Group
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
We are losing all of our WW2 vets all too soon.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
One more gone here, Bill King ex Royal Navy:  He lived in an ancient castle only a few miles away from me.  Just realised his funeral is taking place as I type this. He lead quite a life. Would love to have met him. He was well known and respected here in County Galway

http://www.independent.ie/obituaries/bill-king-3237101.html

Bill King

Sunday September 23 2012

Commander of a submarine in the Second World War, he went on to sail around the world

Bill King of Oranmore Castle, who died on Friday at the age of 102, was the last surviving submarine commander of the Second World War and an adventurer who sailed singlehandedly around the world on board Galway Blazer II, a junk rigged schooner that he designed himself.

In a long life crammed with danger, trials and tribulations, William Donald Aelian King distinguished himself as a naval officer in the North Sea, the Mediterranean and the Far East, before retiring to a life of relative peace and tranquility, farming in Co Galway, where he created an organic farm and garden and wrote books.

He was commanding officer of the T-class submarine Telemachus, which sank the Japanese Kadai-class submarine I-166 in the Strait of Malacca on July 17, 1944. Commander King unleashed six torpedoes, one of which found its mark with the loss of 89 lives.

Sixty years later, in 2004, Akira Tsurukame, whose father died on I-166, and Katja Boonstra-Blom, whose father was killed when the I-166 sank the Dutch submarine K XVI, met with Bill King at Oranmore Castle. Together, they planted a tree in the grounds to honour the fathers of Mr Tsurukame and Ms Boonstra-Blom.

By the end of the war, Commander King had been awarded seven medals, including the DSO on May 9, 1940, for "daring endurance and resource in the conduct of hazardous and successful operations in His Majesty's submarines against the enemy".

Commander King's father, William Albert de Courcy King (born 1875), was also a war hero and served with the 36th (Ulster) Division in Belgium. He was killed in battle in May 1917 and buried at Dranoutre Military Cemetery in Belgium.

As a result of his father's death in combat, Bill King was primarily brought up by his mother, Georgina Marie MacKenzie, and his maternal grandmother. He later attended the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth from the age of 12, where he was a noted boxer and cross-country runner.

In 1949, Bill King married Anita Theodosia Mouira Leslie, who died in 1984 aged 70. She also gave distinguished service during the war as an ambulance driver in the French army. General Charles de Gaulle presented her with the Croix de Guerre after hostilities had ceased. She became a writer after the war and under the name Anita Leslie wrote more than a dozen books including a biography of Francis, (later Sir Francis) Chichester -- the first man to sail around the world singlehandedly with only one stop.

After the war, the couple settled at the 15th-Century Oranmore Castle on the shores of Galway Bay, once the stronghold of the Clanricardes, a prominent Norman family in Galway. To help combat his wife's asthma, Bill King developed an organic farm and garden.

In the 60s Bill King signalled his intention to sail around the world. In the book Deep Water, he wrote that sailing was a means of recovering psychologically from 15 years of service in submarines, which, as he put it, had left him "a nervous wreck".

As he planned his own solo effort, word emerged that the Sunday Times was intent on organising the Golden Globe race and at the age of 58 Bill King became the oldest participant. He said he never felt lonely or depressed on his sea quest because of the beauty surrounding him. "You are alone with God; there's no opportunity to sin."

The boat capsized and he had to be towed into Cape Town. A second attempt the following year also ended in mishap when he collided with "a large sea creature" (a whale or shark), which shattered the hull.

A further epic sea journey, which began in 1970, was successful, with Bill completing his global circumnavigation in 1973.

A family notice published on Friday read: "Commander Bill DSO, DSC submariner and yachtsman set off on a new voyage on September 21, 2012, aged 102 years.

"He was surrounded by the loving care of his daughter Leonie and son Tarka. Reposing today at Oranmore Castle from 4pm to 6pm. Funeral service tomorrow at 4pm at the Collegiate Church of St Nicholas, Lombard Street, Galway. Private Interment. Donations in memory of Bill to RNLI."

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »

:salute They're better men than me. I'd be scared to be locked in one of those tin cans.  :bolt:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
My grandpa got into the Navy a bit late despite his persistence, he was too young when the war started, then was untouchable (much to his disdain)a bit while being employed by GE as a welder on a refridgerator line transformed into producing tanks.  By the time he finally finished his training and submarine school the allies were well established in Normandy and towing over recently sezied Uboats from the docks to the East coast and he immediatley got assigned to one of the stateside de-engineering teams (he was a very expereinced welder and grew up with german speaking parents (Austrian and Polish)).

He didn't have much to share from the war, most of his best stories start right after the war ended when he was tasked with mothballing and de-mothballing and shuttling subs through the Panama route that couldn't submerge but noneless were in a rush to steam straight through multiple hurricanes before twittling thumbs in Hawaii (took him a couple years to piece together that the Navy indeed was sticking him in the worst of the worst subs left in the east-coast mothball fleet, because they were destined for the Crossroads testing).  Also he had some good stories of his stays there on island with, like many many other sailors riht after the war, nothing better to do than hangout under a palm tree, waiting to be discharged.  Like how all the officers and crew didn't sunbathe for the last few days sailing into Hawaii purely for the good weather, but because when they hit the bars and clubs on the first night, flush with cash, they wouldn't stand out from the rest of the sailors like sore thumbs being completely untanned.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.