Author Topic: Please find my missing orifice  (Read 269 times)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Please find my missing orifice
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »
Sea Hurricane 1 entered service in about mid 1941, July?

Miss Tilly had distributed orifices to all Merlins in the field by about March 1941.  One might presume then that anything coming out of the factory would have been "well fitted" with an official orifice?
Please find the one missing from the Sea Hurricane that I have been issued with.  I've heard they're cheap and available from the high street chemist.

rgds
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Please find my missing orifice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
....what  :headscratch:?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
....what  :headscratch:?

read up on the history of the Merlin engines... mostly to do with the neg G cutouts.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »
For those that don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling%27s_orifice

Complaints from the pilots led to a search for a solution. Beatrice 'Tilly' Shilling, a young engineer working at Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, came up with a disarmingly simple solution. She introduced a simple flow restrictor: a small metal disc much like a plain metal washer. The restrictor orifice was made to accommodate just the fuel needed for maximum engine power, the power setting usually used during dogfights. It came in two versions, one for 12 psi manifold pressure and one for boosted engines with 15 psi manifold pressure.[2]

While not solving the problem fully, the restrictor, along with modifications to the needle valve, permitted pilots to perform quick negative G manoeuvres without loss of engine power, removing the annoying drawback the British fighters had had in comparison to the German Messerschmitt Bf 109 machine, which was equipped with fuel injection. Miss Shilling with a small team travelled around the countryside in early 1941 fitting the restrictors, giving priority to front-line units. By March 1941 the device had been installed throughout RAF Fighter Command. Officially named the 'R.A.E. restrictor', the device was immensely popular with pilots, who affectionately named it 'Miss Shilling's orifice' or simply the 'Tilly orifice'.

This simple and elegant solution was only a stopgap: it did not allow inverted flight for any length of time. The problems were not finally overcome until the introduction of Bendix and later Rolls Royce pressure carburettors in 1943.

I think you'd have to prove it was ever put into sea hurricanes. These were all converted, war-weary airframes. They were an afterthought. Further, Ms. Tilly couldn't have travelled the countryside to install them if they were on the decks of carriers, now could she?

:D

Be a bit of a swim for her.

Besides, the FAA and the RAF weren't the same entities. They did things differently. I don't know one way or the other if our model of sea hurricane had this change added or not, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. You'd have to look it up somewhere rather than just assume, in this case.