Author Topic: Hall Effect Joystick? Time for a new joystick  (Read 791 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Hall Effect Joystick? Time for a new joystick
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »
I found a couple that are in my budget.
Thrustmaster T-16000M Flight Stick
THRUSTMASTER 2960706 JOYSTICK which I think is a latter model of the T-16000M

All though this is not a Hall effect, I am considering the Hotas X since I have pedals.

I like kind of a stiff joystick.  I have pedals so I don't needed the twisty stick.

Anyone tried these sticks?

I want to go Hall effect to avoid pot issues.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:58:07 AM by Randy1 »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hall Effect Joystick? Time for a new joystick
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
It looks like the 2960706 is just another name for the T-16000M. I have both sticks, and pedals. The Hotas-X is quite a nice stick with adjustable stiffness and lockable twisty axis. Currently I'm using only the throttle part of the hotas, using the T-16000M for stick. The 16000 has a strong centering but almost no threshold  - like a balanced plane resisting stick movements. Quite stiff, I think. I'd like to have some of the hotas's buttons on the stick, but that's a matter of getting accustomed to something.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Bizman, that is just the kind of information I was looking for to help me make my selection.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »
I like kind of a stiff joystick.  I have pedals so I don't needed the twisty stick.

Anyone tried these sticks?

I want to go Hall effect to avoid pot issues.

:rofl

I know this is a serious post... but come on, this is the BBS. I'm not saying anything since quoting it will be good enough.

Now that I got my chuckles out of the way, a serious question: What were the "pot issues" you were referring to? My current joystick uses pot inputs and the most noticeable effect for me is that it's input seems "jittery" if you try holding it in a steady position. I'm assuming it has to do with the analog to digital conversion inside the joystick.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
The "jitter" is likely dirty potentiometer contacts. There shouldn't be any noticeable "jitter". Cleaning the pots generally fixes it. Sometimes just wiggling them through their full range several times will settle them down for a while.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »
I bought a Thrustmaster T-16000M after reading Bzman and Redbull's post from a google search.  t replaced a sidewinder II.  After a week of use, I really like this stick.  The very firm spring for centering and smooth Hall-effect sensors helps with those trigger pull jitters.  The advanced scaling is less critical with the sticks smooth action from the Hall-effect sensors

I use the ratio of kills vs assist as a good guide to my shooting accuracy.  Kills have gone up and assist down since installing the T16000.

Lots of buttons.  The ones on the right are allocated to lower priority functions like door-open and tail-hook since for a right hand'er, they are hard to reach.  Although you can't see it in web pictures of the T16000, there is a height difference between the front three buttons and back three buttons on each side of the base so you can feel your selection without looking.

The handle feels good to the hand although it is quite large.  I like the protruding, pivoting gun trigger. As Bizman posted, it just feels right to the hand.

The blaring green light, well, you either get use to it or you tape over it.  It would have been nice if Thrustmaster would have made that an option in the stick setup software.

The T16000 is well worth a look if a new joystick is in your future.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
I like kind of a stiff joystick.

:D  <- This needs to be about 4000 times larger
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
T16000 is awesome, I'm prefering it over a CH fighterstick and a saitek X65. And you will save some cash for the pedals  :cheers:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »
Oh thank you thank you thank you.  I've been wondering what I was going to do when my last two working Saitek's die (AV8R and ST-290) as I'm  lefty and everything is built for right handers plus I like using twisties.  I think I might order one of these soon.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.