Author Topic: Socializing Game system  (Read 529 times)

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
Re: Socializing Game system
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
- I wish the game would collect location information from the users computer and display other players within say, 20 miles? Along with a sort of buddy/friend system.

Well, we can opt into it? Doesn't have to be forced....

Based on the replies I have seen, I don't think you guys are reading the idea right, I guess I assume you guys know that exposing personal information directly is a-given no-no and thus needs no re-iteration...

My apologies.

It would only show like a nickname and fav ride, not specific details... Like I said, HTC would do the matchmaking/linking.

Considering sometimes personal disagreement's can happen even amongst friend's, I would not want to have to worry about this: "That #$!@$   I hate them!  And I Know EXACTLY WHERE THEY LIVE!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Dont be a dooshe again fugi.

Like I said, you are all reading this idea wrong, apparently for your own amusement.

It makes sense how new players tend to dislike this community.

How am I being a "dooshe"? You want to know who is in your area, ASK! Where is the problem? I know of at least a dozen players that are with in 100 miles of me. Delirium lives 20 minutes down the road, though I've never met him. One of the "Obie's" lives in the next town over and I've never met him either.But thats the way it is.

You want to meet others, your going to have to lay your self out there. I went to the WWII Weekend they have at the Reading PA airport every year a number of times and have meet many players. I think I met 12 players one year alone. How did I know these players would be there..... I ASKED.

We already have the "chat room" atmosphere with the radio functions in the game. If you become "friends" with players ASK if they are on facebook so you can contact them. ASK if you can swap phone numbers so you can talk to them.

I'm not being a "dooshe", I'm helping you solve a problem WITHOUT having to put someone else on the hook.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
Nah, fugi, you are right.

But why can't we have a little automation while we are at it, to make things faster? Isn't that what progress is about?

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
Dont be a dooshe again fugi.

Like I said, you are all reading this idea wrong, apparently for your own amusement.

It makes sense how new players tend to dislike this community.
NO he got you stone cold. Put your location in you sig line and viola people will know where you are, or go join the fb page.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
Friends/ignore system plz.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
Nah, fugi, you are right.

But why can't we have a little automation while we are at it, to make things faster? Isn't that what progress is about?

dude some players have my phone number, address and a very selected are on my gf's speed dial.  but that was my choice.  like everybody else said.  post your info after all that what is progress is all about.

and stop trying to get in my gf's speed dial.  muppets are very protective of her :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
haha, gc :-)

PS: I do agree with Fugitive's methodology as described, but that is the old way and while it does work, it doesn't keep in line with current expectations of modern internet goers. We do want to have a crowd of modern players right, and not just the oldies?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:26:52 PM by Torquila »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »
haha, gc :-)

PS: I do agree with Fugitive's methodology as described, but that is the old way and while it does work, it doesn't keep in line with current expectations of modern internet goers. We do want to have a crowd of modern players right, and not just the oldies?

So what your saying is if they make this more like facebook we will have more players?  I don't think so. Even Facebook walks a line with information. Some people have pages but have them locked down so tight all you'll ever know is their name. Other don't even bother with it.

Social networking isn't  for everyone, nor should it be everywhere.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
Well you guys got nothing on me in that regard, since HTC is the one with the account info, right?

Dunno why I gotta hear the same stuff over and over.

Why not like: "Great idea, but why not show players with similar fav rides" or something?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:28:54 PM by Torquila »

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
If i can just weigh in.

I have facebook. I am friends with several people from AH on facebook.

However if AH ever asked if it could collect information about me that could be shared to people, I would quit as soon as that message popped up. I like to be known as Macleod. If people want to know more information, they can ask. I am ok with that. However I certainly don't want someone randomly popping on vox saying 'Hey xxx'. That is far beyond the lines of privacy and I don't care if they live 2 minutes down the road. Ok it will give me somthing to talk about with them, but if I didn't already know that then there is a high chance I didn't WANT to talk to them in the first place.

I give this a big fat NO
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »
Mac,

The OP impresses me as being happy stirring pots. It just seems he is equally happy if his guests enjoy a 5 star meal from the pot. Or line up with torches, pitchforks, and ropes with cleaning bills after he coats them with his slop.

In the beginning computers were supposed to be work effort and time savers. Then some fool invented games and companies have been loosing time and money since because workers play with their computers. Then came the Internet and anonymous identities. With this has been reveled a global human psychosis that punishes all human progress. Everybody has an opinion about everything they have absolutely no qualifications or experience with. And with their anonymous identity are more than happy to destroy your hard work to satisfy their psychosis because it won't hurt them if you fail.

Or,

The OP is like the guy who claims he gets lucky all the time. He looks at the 99 slaps to his face as the price to get lucky with the one hundredth female he propositions. And just like the OP, this guy is willing to persistently be slapped in the face knowing every blind pig eventually finds a nut.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.