Author Topic: unload  (Read 416 times)

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
unload
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:05:04 AM »
Hello.

In every gunnery handbook there is a phrase "unload your aircraft before shooting". But I can't for life figure out how to do this "unload" thing.
In theory everything is clear: push stick forward till you get 0G acceleration and fire. But in practice...

F.e. I'm following con in a tight loop, pulling Gs to get angle. I recon I need to pull even harder to be able to unload? Other example - when attacking buffs I found myself pulling stick even in dive to get some lead.
I guess I'm doing it wrong.  :bhead
AH: impulse9

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: unload
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
If your pulling Gs it is like turning and trying to hit the dog with the water stream from a hose. If you unload, or stop turning and just aim at where the dog is going you hit him with a full blast.

In the plane, you pull lead ahead of your target, release the stick (center up) then fire you are unloading the G force.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »
You don't need to unload, i.e. reduce the wing load factor, for a tracking shot as long as you are in the same plane of maneuver as your target because your rounds will spread out along your target's flight path. For a crossing snap shot you'll want to unload but not to 0 G. You unload to 0 G for max acceleration not for gunnery.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
Unload simply means to take the G's off the aircraft. Like FLS said though it's not to 0G, remember normal state is 1G. Basically you just want to relax the pressure on the stick as Fugi pointed out.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
the Spit XIV is an exception - it needs ~1G of loading to get stable enough for gunnery in my experience.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli