Author Topic: Training for New Pilots  (Read 1227 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Training for New Pilots
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
 :airplane: I know that we have training pages on the AH web site, but there are lot of things which new pilots have trouble understanding or incorrectly applying them into the game! Is there a page which educational information for new pilots can be posted by AH members. I have tons of info on piloting skills, engines and operations, along with practical experience which might be of use to some new guy and cut down on their learning curve. I think a a lot of people get discouraged in their 2 week trail period and just leave. I believe with the right info from some of us, some of those people can be turned around and become good members of AH.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Training for New Pilots
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
:airplane: I know that we have training pages on the AH web site, but there are lot of things which new pilots have trouble understanding or incorrectly applying them into the game! Is there a page which educational information for new pilots can be posted by AH members. I have tons of info on piloting skills, engines and operations, along with practical experience which might be of use to some new guy and cut down on their learning curve. I think a a lot of people get discouraged in their 2 week trail period and just leave. I believe with the right info from some of us, some of those people can be turned around and become good members of AH.

Problem is most don't ask for help, or expect to be an ace in a day.
JG 52

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
There's a 'help channel' on the text in-game and there's a Help and Training forum thread...

Wish granted :)
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
Most people learn by seeing then doing until they understand. You are asking more of the bell curve then they want to be bothered with when you offer them written instructions only.

Vudu's youtube films are the simplest medium to convey the basic concepts to playing this game. If the online help topics could all have imbedded flash movies, "Here is How To get from A to B". Most beginning problems would get ironed out. We are no longer a culture that reads the manual, or has the patience for more than a single paragraph longer than 140 characters. Otherwise anyone could read the flight manuals, hop in the cub, run a few circuits around the pattern, then solo.

Ever try to make a gunsight using my "simple" written instructions? Most players die from boredom wading through the first few sentences.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »

Earl,

We have the AH wiki,you can upload any information that you have! Infact any member of this BBS can add any info they would like.  I bet the information you have laying around would indeed be helpful and I know I would read all the material that you should choose to add!

:salute

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »
imo the best way to help new players is to take them into your squad, wing with them, answer their questions, and give a bit of one to one training on any aspects of ACM they are having difficulty with

it sure helped me a lot when I got started  :old:

although I don't think this approach would be ideal in your case earl, as there are already enough skill-less horde dweebs in the game right now...I really think it'd be better if new players were put on a better path

but there are a lot of other squadrons who recruit and are willing to help train new players  :salute
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
Most people learn by seeing then doing until they understand. You are asking more of the bell curve then they want to be bothered with when you offer them written instructions only.

Vudu's youtube films are the simplest medium to convey the basic concepts to playing this game. If the online help topics could all have imbedded flash movies, "Here is How To get from A to B". Most beginning problems would get ironed out. We are no longer a culture that reads the manual, or has the patience for more than a single paragraph longer than 140 characters. Otherwise anyone could read the flight manuals, hop in the cub, run a few circuits around the pattern, then solo.

Ever try to make a gunsight using my "simple" written instructions? Most players die from boredom wading through the first few sentences.
:airplane: An educated pilot is a better pilot! I do not subscribe to this just a video game and has nothing to do with real flying! There are a number of subjects that anyone who starts this game, could benifit greatly by reading and have a better understanding of the forces acting on aircraft and the engines and how they work, and the limits of both on the game.
But, anyway, appreciate your comments.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Yardguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »

I have found lots of information and vudu's  starter videos are great and well appreciated. It would be nice to find a dog fight with a play by play of what they did and why, ok I'm going to dive on this guy because, raising flaps to do this. it would be nice to see and hear the principals in action. I'm learning though. :bhead

EDIT: after saying the above I found some Vudu clips  of just that. If I seek, I shall find.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:23:08 PM by Yardguy »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
I train new pilots for a living.  There is a generation gap with each generation.  With the latest it's their inability to comprehend the written word.  The  accepted method for flight training is to assign the lesson plan that details the required reading matterial and the flight plan.   My experience has been that this generation of student pilots show up without having read anything.  When I was younger that would have bothered me, but now, I  just ask if they read the required chapters?  If not I have them sit down and read it now. Of course they are paying for my time.  Doesn't take them very long to realize how expensive it is to show unprepared. 

We use a lot of video, because it makes the learning process easier for this generation. 

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
I train new pilots for a living. 

I see you're from NJ.  I took ground school at age 15 at Kupper Airport and passed my FAA exam on the first shot at Somerset Airport 30-sumpfity years ago.  I was the youngest person there by a long shot.  My dad had to drive me there.  Being that he had to drive me 45 minutes, wait, then drive me back, I did not want to disappoint him.  I still have my E6B.  But my pop cut me off after passing the ground test.  After that I was on my own to pay for lessons.  Which was hard for a 16 year old getting ready to go to (and pay for) college.  Never did get up an fly.  But that fire I lit under myself at age 15 to not disappoint the old man stuck with me.  I ended up pretty much with a free ride through college from academic scholarships, because I new from ground school and the exam that if you apply yourself, good things happen.  I'm now a PE with my own practice for 15 years now.  (Let's me work from home and get on AH when the mood hits.)  But for me, getting my old man to drive me to ground school by promising that I'd do well flipped a switch with me.  I owe where I am today to that class and the time with him in the car, 9:30 at night driving home from Manville.

Also, my ground school instructor gave us a 20 question quiz at the start and end of every class.  Good measuring stick.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.