Author Topic: Windows8 and Ch USB Gear  (Read 525 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Windows8 and Ch USB Gear
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
After months of trying to get USB gear (CH) to work on Windows8 I have finally succeeded...But!  Ya gotta jump through hoops.

As you know in previous posts on my PC the USB gear showed up in control panel, were recognized and would not work.
Couldn't calibrate in windows 8.....they would not respond.  Now by saying recognized they were listed in devices on the control panel screen.
Their Icons were there but did not function even immediately after starting the system.  I did in power management disable Win8 from
arbitrarily powering down the USB ports and hubs.  Even so...the CH gear would not respond even though Control Panel saw them.

Now the solution I found someone is going to have to explain to me.  It does not make sense.  Here goes............

After starting windows I go to control Panel in Win8 and select devices.  As I said before the CH gear shows up as XBOX controllers but
recognized as CH USB gear.  I then right click on the icons one by one and remove the devices.  After doing so I restart the PC and
all three USB CH controllers work. They can be calibrated in windows and they work in game with my controller mappings etc.
and will continue to work very well until I shut down the PC.  After shutting down the PC and restarting sometime later again the controllers
will not work and I then repeat the remove devices etc. and they again work fine  :confused:

BTW I am not using control manager.  I used it before and it caused my system to lose the USB mouse....go figure.

Splain Dat Lucy?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:10:32 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows8 and Ch USB Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
Delete
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:10:05 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
seems a lot of people are having issues with win8 and ch gear. it sounds like win8 doesn't even have proper embedded drivers for the devices. that's an issue someone needs to take up with ch products.

the issue vaguely appears to be a usb controller bus power issue. too many power hungry devices on a single usb controller. how many usb ports are there and how many usb devices are connected total?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
seems a lot of people are having issues with win8 and ch gear. it sounds like win8 doesn't even have proper embedded drivers for the devices. that's an issue someone needs to take up with ch products.

the issue vaguely appears to be a usb controller bus power issue. too many power hungry devices on a single usb controller. how many usb ports are there and how many usb devices are connected total?

Have the same amount of USB devices plugged in as when I had XP.  Powered USB Hub, Mouse, 3 CH controllers and a printer.  Power not the problem.

It just might be because this machine is USB 3 as opposed to USB 2.  This machine is using windows same USB drivers that according to date have been around since 2006.

These drivers came with windows8.  According to Skuzzy Windows8 is a mobile operating system not designed for PCs.  ASUS evidently didn't get the memo.
That is why imho when I wanted to play solitaire  it says I needed an X Box account to download and play.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Have you tired this?

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

I don't have Windows 8 installed anywhere and no USB3 so this is just a suggestion.  Proceed at your own risk.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
Have the same amount of USB devices plugged in as when I had XP.  Powered USB Hub, Mouse, 3 CH controllers and a printer.  Power not the problem.

It just might be because this machine is USB 3 as opposed to USB 2.  This machine is using windows same USB drivers that according to date have been around since 2006.

These drivers came with windows8.  According to Skuzzy Windows8 is a mobile operating system not designed for PCs.  ASUS evidently didn't get the memo.
That is why imho when I wanted to play solitaire  it says I needed an X Box account to download and play.

So you ran xp on a totally different motherboard and somehow concluded it can't be a power problem?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone