Author Topic: Antique/Classic Motorcycle Collectors  (Read 298 times)

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
Antique/Classic Motorcycle Collectors
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
Howdy Gents :salute

I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone who collects and restores ventage motorcycles, or perhaps has advise on getting older motorcycles appraised. I'm sitting on a 1940s era Indian motorcycle that I need to do some research on. It's not in working condition but I want to find out more about it to consider if I should try and find a buyer for it or attempt to restore it myself.

Thanks all :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Antique/Classic Motorcycle Collectors
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
I'm in the motorcycle business.

1. Why do you have this bike, how did it come to you?

2. Are you a good mechanic?

3. Do you want to ride this bike?

4. How long ago did it last run?

5. What motorcycles have you owned before?

6. Is the bike complete?

7. Is the bike damaged?

8. Is there a shop near that you can trust if you run into problems with the restoration?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »

1. Why do you have this bike, how did it come to you?

My father purchased it years ago with the intent of restoring it, he passed away in 2006 and I inherited it

2. Are you a good mechanic?

I have little mechanical experience myself outside the bare basics

3. Do you want to ride this bike?

It would be neat to ride, but I think I'd rather it being appriciated by a true Indian fan

4. How long ago did it last run?

No telling

5. What motorcycles have you owned before?

I used to own a Sazuki M90 Bullivard that I had to use as trade in for a new car

6. Is the bike complete?

It is missing its muffler, it needs a new headlight (fixture is still there but no bumb or glass front) and probably electrical work. I have the original sadel bags and new tires for it. The gas tank has a deant in it that would need to be worked out.

7. Is the bike damaged?

Just the indentation in the tank and the few things I've mentioned above

8. Is there a shop near that you can trust if you run into problems with the restoration?

I've been doing a bit of research but havent found a place that knows enough about indians. I live near Houston texas so theres a few bike dealerships that might be trustworthy.

I'm hoping to test drive a triumph thruxton down the road to see if I like hoe the cafe racer rides, but those are the type and style of bike i perfer.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Since your dad never actually rode it then riding it now by you might not have the effect, that owning a bike he used to love to ride.

It looks like to me then that you should just sell it as is, but it looks like that's what you are thinking anyway.

Unfortunately I am only familiar with values on Japanese motorcycles so I am unable to help you with the Indian's value.

Wag more, bark less.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
There is a new show on the Velocity Channel named Barn Find.  The star of the show is a gentleman named Dale, can't remember last name.

From what I understand he is the preeminent restorer and collector in the US.  He owns a large museum of antique bikes.  What I suggest you should do is visit the Velocity web site if it has

one.  You may be able to get in touch with him through email there.  Take pictures of the bike from every angle paying close attention to the damage.

He just may make you an offer!  I have no doubt he can answer any question you may have.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
I was in an Indian dealership near Charlotte, NC a few weeks ago (It's been re-started under Polaris, seems to be a nice product, if you have $36,500 laying about) They have a '46 Chief in their showroom with TEN original miles, pristine---they've been offered $90k, turned it down. Anyhow, the guy from that tv show "American Pickers" is an Indian NUT, and has been in that store a fair bit--they've a trailer outside with a ton of museum pieces that they take to shows, and presumably, could put you in touch with expertise on the restoral process
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
I havent been into bikes for a couple years, but I know Indians go for quite a bit of $$$ running or not.  triumphs are fun bikes :aok, I have had 2, 1 was a 72 bonneville all original, and the other was a 54 which I chopped.  Both were 650s and quite fast for what they were.  how old is the one you are looking at?  as far as your Indian,
https://www.facebook.com/LyndeMotorsports
not sure if you would be interested in giving this guy a shout but hes pretty good about knowing the values and what not of bikes

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:56:56 PM »
I was at steve mcqueens estate auction in las vegas......probably around 1982.

You should have seen the stuff!

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
I thank you all for the info, I'll do some investigations into Contacting some of the companies/people you've mentioned. I've been out of town for a while so I haven't had a change to reply till now.

triumphs are fun bikes :aok, I have had 2, 1 was a 72 bonneville all original, and the other was a 54 which I chopped.  Both were 650s and quite fast for what they were.  how old is the one you are looking at? 

I was looking at a new 2013 Triumph Thruxton, but not certain about it. A Nab of mine has owned and worked on a lot of bikes for 50 years, particularly necked and café style rides, and he didn't have a very good opinion on the Thruxton and triumph in general. He bought a new 2013 Thruxton and did the fender elimination kit, got smaller exhaust pipes, lighter and better air box, and a few other performance boosting adjustments, and he didn't like how weak the low end power settings were or how "heavy" it felt.

The 2013 Thruxton comes off at something like 507lbs with a full tank, while most cafe races are around 400 to 420lbs. I'm wondering how much lighter it can get with mods, if it's possible to drop a 100lbs.

I'm a small guy, 5'6" and all of 115lbs (I'm "blessed" with a ridiculously high metabolism with no abnormal medical complications that are causing it) and really should get to a workout routine to put some more muscle mass on my body. I used to own a 2009 Suzuki M90 Bulliva rd that ran nice on an open road but was a nightmare for me @ parking lot or traffic conditions at its 730lbs for a lightweight like me. I'm concerned how much a pain in the arch a 500 pound bike would be, where a 400-420 cafė racer sounds more ma nagable (more concerned with the fun vs slow handling characteristics rather then how fast I can get the thing to death-speeds). If I can I'll try to take one for a test run sometime down the road

Any advise regarding my previous paragraphs concerns from other riders would be appreciated  :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Ducati FTW!

I recently picked up an 1199 Panigale... Not quite the style of bike you are after but it is one sweet ride (see my post in the "personal Vehicle" thread)

Ducati has a lot of different styled bikes, so even if a pure sport bike isnt to your liking, there are always others!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
I was at steve mcqueens estate auction in las vegas......probably around 1982.

You should have seen the stuff!

OK, now I hate you.  (I have a pair of Steve McQueen gloves)     :neener:   And, I actually wear them.  Some folks think that is sacriledge.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
OK, now I hate you.  (I have a pair of Steve McQueen gloves)     :neener:   And, I actually wear them.  Some folks think that is sacriledge.

Hell no, not sacriledge.  Those gloves were meant to be worn.  So wear em with pride sir!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
I have the same metabolism problem as you :aok  I weigh 135-145 it varies.  I used to have a Harley fxr and never had any problems riding it.  Yes I can pick them off the ground also never dumped mine but have picked them up for others.  IMHO if your feet can touch, your good to go :lol  its all in technique of how you ride.  once you get used to the weight you never realize its a heavy bike :cheers:

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
A 40s Indian!  :x Hell yeah bud you'll found a dandy  :aok

If and when you get this project going, I'd like to see some pics. I do love those old bikes.  :salute
Lighten up Francis