Author Topic: Zacherof Departure  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Re: Zacherof Departure
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »
What is interesting to me, Arlo, is how clear the memory is...it was a Black Flag day for recruits...but not for us...the sky was almost cobalt in color...winds were very high...the smell of JP5 was in the nostrils as we rounded the south end of the airfield...

LOL

Another thought comes to mind...Terns were, and maybe still are, a protected species of bird and they used to nest near the fences of NTC and MCRD and at the south end of the San Diego Airport. We had to adhere to a path near the airport so as not to disturb Tern nesting. We gulped copious amounts of JP5 exhaust to not disturb the Terns during our runs.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
I was an instructor at Sea School (USMC) at MCRD San Diego back in 1973.

In 1972/74 my mother and I used to go to the commissary at MCRD, soon as we went threw the gate and down the road every one saluted the sticker on our car. The sticker showed my Pops rank or that it was an officer's car I think. The place was pretty old. We lived in Point Loma at the time.

I had completely forgotten all about this,
Thank You
 :salute
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
What is interesting to me, Arlo, is how clear the memory is...it was a Black Flag day for recruits...but not for us...the sky was almost cobalt in color...winds were very high...the smell of JP5 was in the nostrils as we rounded the south end of the airfield...

LOL

Another thought comes to mind...Terns were, and maybe still are, a protected species of bird and they used to nest near the fences of NTC and MCRD and at the south end of the San Diego Airport. We had to adhere to a path near the airport so as not to disturb Tern nesting. We gulped copious amounts of JP5 exhaust to not disturb the Terns during our runs.

Black flag days .... oh yeah. When our company was formed it was jacket weather. When we got closer to graduation the black flag days started happening. Honestly, my company couldn't march worth a damn. We carried the pizz flag a lot over that. The marines that came over for sick call or shots or anything even sat at attention. Gave our drill company a run for their money. My dad also went to San Diego for BC (Navy as well). He spent time prepping me for the experience, talking about guarding laundry and leggings (neither experience happened by the time I was in). Your time was before mine. I was actually saddened to find out it's no longer a BC for the Navy.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
Good choice of branch and good luck Zach.  GO NAVY!

Just remember that SK's actually run the Navy. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
Good choice of branch and good luck Zach.  GO NAVY!

Just remember that SK's actually run the Navy. :D

I always thought these guys:

and

.... ran things.

Either of those sets of records get lost and you are royally skrewed.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
Thanks gents.
Also i apparently leave tomorrow at noon :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
Thanks gents.
Also i apparently leave tomorrow at noon :banana:

Apparently? Are you gonna tie one on tonight?  :D

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
Also i apparently leave tomorrow at noon

:banana: :banana:

:D

Good luck and thanks.  :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
Thanks gents.
Also i apparently leave tomorrow at noon

Take care, Zacherof, and take it all in.  It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

- oldman

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 03:18:11 AM »
Alright guys after a very busy day and browsing through some awesome threads, it time for my last post for.
But don't worry, I'll be back for count padding in no time :aok

Thank you HiTech for what you've built. I've enjoyed for many years and have been consistently playing   
Big thanks to the Gun fighters, JG5, and the 56th. Hopefully I can get my jug and 109 up sooner rather than later.

And a big thanks to all my friends
And lastly a big thanks to the community for being so supportive and awesome like Zack1234 awesome :)

See you all around thanksgiving  :salute
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle