Author Topic: Dot command for everything enemy.  (Read 487 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Dot command for everything enemy.
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:05 AM »
This has to go :aok
Knowing to the very second every thing that is going on without actual line of sight what the enemy has or has not is ruining game play.

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
Re: Dot command for everything enemy.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »
Knowing to the very second every thing that is going on without actual line of sight what the enemy has or has not is ruining game play.

Agreed... Perhaps it should be seen more as intelligence reports, we know if something is up or down but certainly not the exact rebuild status. For friendly stuff, downtime is cool.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »

Just curious, how is it hurting game play?

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
I don't know if it's hurting.

But it's a powerful tool in keeping the bases shut down. Bombers can turn and line up for hangars and destroy them within seconds of their reconstruction, because they know exactly the time left.

I've been using the above mentioned method to almost perfect success in keeping the bases without their hangars...

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »

Just curious, how is it hurting game play?

Because you can find out the downtime to literally everything relevant in a base take in less than a minute (if a good typer  :devil ).

Only thing I can think of for this is to add 'the fog of war' effect to it.  Giving a 2-5 minute addition or subtraction to the down times.

So if the vehicle hangar at a port is supposed to actually come up in 12.5 minutes. The system could say any number between 7.5 minutes or 17.5 minutes (also giving the 'feel' and frustration of bad intel).

Making it so the player has to prepare for the likely possibly that the intel they have received is wrong in someway and must improvise.

Just a thought.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
the only people abusing this useful feature are the guys who instantly up an m3 with supps to town every time they feel the need to not up and engage in combat.

resupply cowards ruin gameplay  :old:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
resupply cowards ruin gameplay

I would say that about vulchers, FH flatteners, wirby runway campers, HQ griefers, steamrollers and timid BnZers that run you out of gas.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

+1

MH

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
It is kind of a robotic keyboard way to play our game. Almost like sneaking in 21st century computerized warfare to help entertain bomber pilots and their godly one finger perfectly timed salute to struggling base defenders.

Yessss, I think I'll give you 13 seconds this time to get some GV out. hehehehe.........Love it, lllooove it. VH down again and 3 kills this time. Gotta love them knights. Either in tanks or in fighters. No compromise in their game play.

I still don't know if the knights have caught on to this yet. But, the bish and rooks have caught on that the knights haven't. The rooks and bish shut down knight fields like clock work. Orrr, just like haveing a timer telling them when to pay their fields a visit. Hmmmmm, a timer...hmmmmm...... :headscratch:

I think the knights still rub potatoes to read the bumps to see the future.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Because you can find out the downtime to literally everything relevant in a base take in less than a minute (if a good typer  :devil ).

Only thing I can think of for this is to add 'the fog of war' effect to it.  Giving a 2-5 minute addition or subtraction to the down times.

So if the vehicle hangar at a port is supposed to actually come up in 12.5 minutes. The system could say any number between 7.5 minutes or 17.5 minutes (also giving the 'feel' and frustration of bad intel).

Making it so the player has to prepare for the likely possibly that the intel they have received is wrong in someway and must improvise.

Just a thought.

Tinkles

<<S>>

oh I understand how it works, and I use it very often myself. I just don't see how it is ruining game play. Good players have always used timers. I used an oven timer for years when I was running missions to keep track. Player who are into the game are going to use all the tools available to play. In the old days we had to bring some of our own tools, but we still did what we could to get an edge.

The same goes for the downtimes. It's just a tool, and one that not everyone uses either. Croduh uses it well, while many others don't even know the string to type out let alone type it fast.

So again, How is it ruining game play?