Author Topic: Best 37mm?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Best 37mm?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
Both T34 have thinner metal construction for the engine hatch doors behind the turret, 20mm. The IL2 is the easiest platform to take advantage of that fact in a 60-70 degree dive. That gives you the best chance of not being laser guided single skeet shot out of the air while you are hanging in your straight line dive holding rounds on the 20mm engine hatch doors. Your first pass if you hold on target for about 10-20 rounds will smoke the engine.

You can penetrate the doors with the G2 in a single shot dive, but, the pull out from starting your shot at 200-300 is dicey. I have a gunsight that makes single shots easy with the BK 3,7 once you get rid of joystick nose bounce and make your rudder more sensitive to reduce the need for large inputs. G2 dive so slow, I stopped using them against T34 in the game because they are death traps to commander mode gamey shooting BS. In offline testing, starting at 1000 with a single shot, you can smoke the engine or track the T34's. But, in the MA, the time needed to fly straight and setup the aim lets the gamey commander mode kill you just as easily as if the main T34 gun was a destroyer's 5incher. It's also as easy for M3 to kill the pilot as shooting Storchs.

The HurriD, well that's a precision instrument for cracking those engine hatch doors. I use the same gunsight in it. The trick is a 45-60 degree dive at the hatches. Then shoot close and pull out without kissing the tank. I only fire once in each pass because of the induced bounce and loss of targeting. But, it only takes one hit on those doors. Problem again is the gamey commander mode single shot. It's almost as good as the 5incher and it doesn't have the same fuse.

There is a common theme here. As our tank busting planes perform obviously as good at doing that which they did very well in WW2. Hitech gave the tankers a gamey solution that didn't happen in WW2 with WW2 hardware to counter them. I die more often now from not pulling out of steep dives correctly as our master single shot skeet shooters wing me out of the air in our now WW2 tank hunting death traps. The hardware was designed to defeat tanks while flying low and shooting them from 200m-300m in the sides. Not diving on them and maybe pulling out at the last moment knowing penetration is not possible outside of 300m.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
The HurriD, well that's a precision instrument for cracking those engine hatch doors. I use the same gunsight in it. The trick is a 45-60 degree dive at the hatches. Then shoot close and pull out without kissing the tank. I only fire once in each pass because of the induced bounce and loss of targeting. But, it only takes one hit on those doors. Problem again is the gamey commander mode single shot. It's almost as good as the 5incher and it doesn't have the same fuse.

Fortunately the T-34/85 gun has  max elevation of 22° only, the T-34/76 has 29°.
When attacking tanks in the Hurri D I actually try to have their turrets pointed at me, which prevents them from shooting at me on egress. I also not only pull up after shooting the volley but also start a turn instantly, just in case the tank driver turned his turret early enough to give him an opportunity to fire at me.
If you dive in steep enough and do as outlined above, you are are almost impossible to get hit by the main gun. Being maingunned in a HurriD (or Il-2) is an extremely rare event to me, usually the result of a very sloppy, hastened attack run (pressing my luck).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
Both T34 have thinner metal construction for the engine hatch doors behind the turret, 20mm. The IL2 is the easiest platform to take advantage of that fact in a 60-70 degree dive. That gives you the best chance of not being laser guided single skeet shot out of the air while you are hanging in your straight line dive holding rounds on the 20mm engine hatch doors. Your first pass if you hold on target for about 10-20 rounds will smoke the engine.

You can penetrate the doors with the G2 in a single shot dive, but, the pull out from starting your shot at 200-300 is dicey. I have a gunsight that makes single shots easy with the BK 3,7 once you get rid of joystick nose bounce and make your rudder more sensitive to reduce the need for large inputs. G2 dive so slow, I stopped using them against T34 in the game because they are death traps to commander mode gamey shooting BS. In offline testing, starting at 1000 with a single shot, you can smoke the engine or track the T34's. But, in the MA, the time needed to fly straight and setup the aim lets the gamey commander mode kill you just as easily as if the main T34 gun was a destroyer's 5incher. It's also as easy for M3 to kill the pilot as shooting Storchs.

There is a common theme here. As our tank busting planes perform obviously as good at doing that which they did very well in WW2. Hitech gave the tankers a gamey solution that didn't happen in WW2 with WW2 hardware to counter them. I die more often now from not pulling out of steep dives correctly as our master single shot skeet shooters wing me out of the air in our now WW2 tank hunting death traps. The hardware was designed to defeat tanks while flying low and shooting them from 200m-300m in the sides. Not diving on them and maybe pulling out at the last moment knowing penetration is not possible outside of 300m.

Bustr, is it a simple Dot sight?

By the way, thanks for making your sight packs.

~S~ Buck
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
Bustr, is it a simple Dot sight?

By the way, thanks for making your sight packs.

~S~ Buck

PM me, I'll send you a copy. It's simplicity will astound you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:11 AM »
I cant remember the last time I was killed by a main gun of a tank while attacking in the vertical. I cant even remember "ever" having been.

Often, when we had F3 in the IL2, I was able to dive as close to 100% vertical as you can imagine and pop the lid of anything very easily. T34s I really never bothered doing that with cause a 60% dive onto the rear hatch always worked. The weak spot on the top turret was a bit small so it was easier getting to the rear hatches. Tigers had nice fat thin armor on the top turret and both front and rear. I think they had a 25mm section on the top of both. Sadly i got rid of all the pics of hitting all the weak spots of all the tanks. I'd say my most common convergence of the big 37mms was 250 or 300. The better I got at it the closer i made it. It would be unusual for me to shoot more then 2 volleys of 2 from any of the platforms in a single pass. I might hose a Panzer cause they were just easy meat. The only ord i carried was Soviet rockets for tracking T34s which could make life difficult if they kept turning and moving. I never liked dropping bombs on tanks. To easy.

I tried inverted attacks to come straight down with limited success. You just cant use a lot of rudder to line up on the dive cause its not precise enough, rudder can only be used at the beginning of the dive and from there on you have to use precise stick. For inverted attacks the Hurri-D is best due to its climb, roll, dive, recover characteristics. Its nimble, easy to control, maneuverable, and rebuilds it "E" best of them all. Put AP rounds in that Yak-9T and i could cause a lot of tanks a lot of problems. But we cant do that cause it would insult actual History. :salute
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:33:09 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"