Author Topic: GV gun clear indicator  (Read 665 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
GV gun clear indicator
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
It would be nice to have an indicator visible from the GV gunner's position showing when the gun tube is clear of the terrain.  As is, it is quite possible to have a clear LOS from the gunsight, but when one fires, the round hits the ground immediately in front of the muzzle.  Obviously, one would be able to determine this in a real tank from periscopes and other crew members.  Game graphics don't show this from any position. 

MH

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: GV gun clear indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
I remember being able to drive GV while someone gunned :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
In a real tank can the loader look down the barrel before loading?  (Just curious)

I was impressed when I first noticed that HTC models the parallax error between the gun and the gunsight (and a bit annoyed when I realized how big it is).

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »

That's the old UI, Zack.

In a real tank can the loader look down the barrel before loading?  (Just curious)

I was impressed when I first noticed that HTC models the parallax error between the gun and the gunsight (and a bit annoyed when I realized how big it is).

Based on stuff I've read about operating WWII tanks, in a real tank they are much more aware of where the barrel is than in-game, because they don't want it to hit trees, buildings, the ground, etc.   The current AH GV UI doesn't tell you whether the barrel is clear, because it ignores whether it is (unles you fire too close to an object, in which case your shell hits the object and not the target.  In a real tank you would know whether your gun clears the crest, building, etc. before firing.  

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
It would be nice to have an indicator visible from the GV gunner's position showing when the gun tube is clear of the terrain.  As is, it is quite possible to have a clear LOS from the gunsight, but when one fires, the round hits the ground immediately in front of the muzzle.  Obviously, one would be able to determine this in a real tank from periscopes and other crew members.  Game graphics don't show this from any position. 

MH

I neglected to mention the main problem with this, which is the resulting shell crater floating in space, which then blocks the gunsight LOS.

MH

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
I've noticed it more on the new tank killers.  More than once I poke just over a hill, shoot at someone, hit the hill I'm on, can't see for S$%^ due to the floating impact crater and get killed sorting out my clearance/view and waiting for reload.  Its not a big deal but knowing when the muzzle is clear would be helpful.
AMAX  in game

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Greetings,

As a former DAT and C-DAT, yes the loader can look through the open breach to see if it is clear.  Of course, that means it is not loaded, nor does the loader have control over the elevation of the main gun.

A much better answer is to have the gunner look through the Aux Sight (the manual sight aligned with the main gun).  Once it clears dirt, the gun is clear.

I am not familiar with the historical layout here - Stereoscopic sights are on the upper side of the turret (M60A1), laser sights (M60A3 to M1A2) are in a dog house on the top of the turret.  IF, the WWII sights are the equal to a modern Aux Sight, (aligned with the main gun) then - if your gun sight is clear, the barrel should be clear.

Regards, 

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
IF, the WWII sights are the equal to a modern Aux Sight, (aligned with the main gun) then - if your gun sight is clear, the barrel should be clear.

They aren't (at least they aren't for the T34/85.. not even close).

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:35:58 AM »
Me too, However that took practice and for me it didn't pan out but I still liked that option.  :aok