Author Topic: gunsights  (Read 531 times)

Offline david625

• Zinc Member
gunsights
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
I need help with gunsights. What are the steps to putting one in game?
I got the sights from here:
http://thesquad.forumotion.net/t40-gunsights-can-make-all-the-difference

Right clicked<Save as< then copied them int the sights folder of Aces High.
They were 256x256 bmp images as they are supposed to be. They show up as an option in the game but the preview of the sight is a blank sky blue image.
When I spawn in the gunsight is non existent.
 :banana:
JG52 "Experten"

"Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." -Adolf Galland

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: gunsights
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
If I remember right you may need two files.  a mil and bmp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »
you would be better off getting in touch with Bustr about gunsights.

i think i have a couple of packs (1 for sure) that i know will work and i can post a link when i get home.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
I need help with gunsights. What are the steps to putting one in game?
I got the sights from here:
http://thesquad.forumotion.net/t40-gunsights-can-make-all-the-difference

Right clicked<Save as< then copied them int the sights folder of Aces High.
They were 256x256 bmp images as they are supposed to be. They show up as an option in the game but the preview of the sight is a blank sky blue image.
When I spawn in the gunsight is non existent.
 :banana:

Try this with one of the gunsight.bmp files you saved as from that WEB sight.

1. - Open it in an art program like paint.
2. - Perform a "Save As", giving it a (newname.bmp).
3. - Save it as an 8-bit bitmap.

See if that shows up.

Only time I ever ran into your problem I saved as a 24-bit bitmap. The requirement for the window within a window called the gunsight mask or reflector plate is 8-bit bitmap. It's only with a 512x512 bitmap that you need a  (newname.mil) file with 256 in it. If that were the problem the gunsight would have shown too small to be usable.

Here is a link to a Historic reticle package. I keep finding new pictures of reticles these days or manuals and page excerpts online. Any popup windows at Zippyshare just kill them. You don't want that browser bar forced on you.

Each country folder has a readme. All gunsight.bmp files need their gunsight.mil file copied to the sights folder to show up correctly.

Historic Pack Download===>>  http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/57470920/file.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:35:33 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline david625

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
Thank you all for the support.
It seems a simple copy/paste of the image was not enough and I had to find the original download link and then unzip the folder into the sights directory.
On top of the original sights I also added the historical pack you posted bustr.

This thread shows just how good and mature of a community Aces High has.  :salute
JG52 "Experten"

"Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." -Adolf Galland

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
I looked around on the linked site kind of quickly and assumed you right clicked on the pictures to save them. My mistake being the delusion everyone knows our gunsight images are in 8-bit bitmap format. Sorry about that.

The AH Help, covering how to use the gunsight application should include a short explanation about the bitmap files.

-------------------------------------------------
Aces High gun sights are of the following format and will not show up if saved otherwise or as another file format.

8-bit Bitmap (.bmp) with a black background.
64x64
128x128
256x256

A special format (512x512) can be used where 2pixel = 1Mil.

When you save the gunsight as an 8-bit bitmap. Create a text file with the number 256 in it. What ever you name the gunsight, (xyz.bmp) you include a file (xyz.mil) with 256 in it. Create the file in notepad as (xyz.mil.txt) add 256 and save it. Then rename it to (xyz.mil). To use this file, copy both the bmp and mil file to the sights directory.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.