Author Topic: Afterburner, Sony MS 12, and AVI's  (Read 318 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Afterburner, Sony MS 12, and AVI's
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
I'm messing around recording gameplay with MSI Afterburner.  I've recorded one clip and uploaded it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgfwXqMvvjg

Nothing special and it seemed to work flawlessly.  In trying to get better quality, I remembered I didn't have AH set to 1920x1080 (doh), so I adjusted game settings and tried again.  Now when I try to upload my Afterburner footage to Sony MS 12, it gives me an error message basically saying "It's an AVI, we ain't doin' it, please jump off a bridge".    :bhead  The files play perfectly in Windows Media Player though.

Lots of stuff on the web about the issues with MS 12 and AVI files, but they seem to be all over the map.  Most say to download a codec of one variety or another, but there doesn't seem to be one solid answer.  Anyone here had this issue? 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Afterburner, Sony MS 12, and AVI's
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
So the problem seems to be when I ask Afterburner to record my audio.   :headscratch:  The above video didn't have those options checked. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
If you have a GTX 600 series or newer video card, download the latest Geforce drivers and Geforce Experience.  They've added a screen capture utility (Shadowplay) that's not to bad and doesn't impact game performance all that much, if at all (I haven't noticed an impact on my system).  Messed around with it yesterday and filmed some individual fights, quality was pretty decent as well.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.   I'll defiantly check that out.   I just upgraded my computer  early last month and was disappointed the Nvidia software didn't have recording capability.
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
ShadowPlay does use less resources than Afterburner it seems.  Afterburner gives me +/= 10 FPS hit, while ShadowPlay doesn't seem to have any effect.  Only downside is it's 10 min save limit per film.
      -AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
ShadowPlay does use less resources than Afterburner it seems.  Afterburner gives me +/= 10 FPS hit, while ShadowPlay doesn't seem to have any effect.  Only downside is it's 10 min save limit per film.

I think if you set it to manual you can get 20 minutes worth of video.  I just use it to record individual fights.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song