Author Topic: Importing custom gunsights into game  (Read 568 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Importing custom gunsights into game
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
I downloaded Bustr's pack but when i put them into the folder they dont show up what am i doing wrong i did it before and it worked fine
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Importing custom gunsights into game
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:00:04 AM »
Did you put the whole pack into the "Sights" folder? I mean, do you have another folder inside the Sights? I don't know about Buster's pack, but at least some other packs, both sounds and sights, have been made by zip packing the author's own "Sights" (or "Sounds", for that matter) folder. In such case the zip pack shouldn't be unzipped to the target folder. Instead it should be unzipped directly to the AcesHigh folder where it should replace the previously existing one unless there either hasn't been one yet (fresh install) or the previous one has already been renamed for backup purposes.

If you have double Sights folders one inside the other, just cut the files of the subfolder and paste them to the Sights root folder.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
You don't extract the zip file directly into the sights folder. Do it somewhere else and you will see that there is a folder structure for all of the countries. Inside each country folder is the bmp and mill files with a readme. Copy only the bmp and mil files into your game sights directory.

Each (gunsight.bmp) file needs it's (gunsight.mil) file.

So do you have a new bunch of sub folders under the game's sights folder?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
 At one time I had an excellence P-51 gun sight I liked but it just disappeared from my sights after an up date some years ago. I don't know why and don't recall where I got it or even how I down loaded it into the game since I am a computer retard.  :frown:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Describe it. I may have it in my library of game gunsights or can with your help create it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
You don't extract the zip file directly into the sights folder. Do it somewhere else and you will see that there is a folder structure for all of the countries. Inside each country folder is the bmp and mill files with a readme. Copy only the bmp and mil files into your game sights directory.

Each (gunsight.bmp) file needs it's (gunsight.mil) file.

So do you have a new bunch of sub folders under the game's sights folder?

Sorry if this is hijack-ish, but I was wondering how one goes about installing sights from your downloads into the game? :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
All bitmaps called (gunsight.bmp) or some name are copied into the game's sights directory. If it is my historic gunsights, they are made in 512x512 2pixel = 1Mil which means each (gunsight.bmp) has an associated (gunsight.mil) file which has to be copied with it.

My historic pacs are setup with country specific folders and a readme for the associations of gunsight to aircraft. So you un-zip somewhere on your hard drive. Read the readmes, then copy the bmp\Mil file of the gunsights you want to your C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\sights.

Here is something to play with.

If you don't care if your gunsight is sized historically and you don't want to move your default forward view to fit any of the larger gunsights to the glass plate in your cockpit. Or you would like a gunsight of mine to be larger. Do the following:

1. - Edit the Mil file for the specific gunisght. Inside you will see the number 256.

2. - If you want to shrink the gunsight. Using 16, 32, 64 or 128. Subtract that much from 256 and see what happens. You can take it all the way down to 0 in  the mil file. That will give you a gunsight about 25Mil in diameter. 

You can minimize the game each time after returning to the tower. Then find that gunsight.mil file and change the number. Then go back into the game and spawn out onto the runway and see how the gunsight looks.

3. - Do the same thing if you want a gunsight larger. Just add to 256 up to 512.

I posted a Whishlist asking if this could be made into a slider to adjust gunsight scale when they are made in 512x512 from the gunsight application in the hanger.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing