Author Topic: Low cloud and gv's  (Read 473 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Low cloud and gv's
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:14 AM »
 Could cloud be configured over certain ( gv heavy) terrain areas to give a very low cloud ceiling ( circa 1500 above the local terrain)  I don't mean on a permanent basis but on the rolling basis that cloud enables.

This would give periods of gv on gv action as well as periods of gv v ac ( and ac v gv ) whilst throwing a RL consequence into the game play mix.

Where there is mountainous terrain it would also enable gv maneuvering through the cloud bank and maybe even some occasional gv fights in the mist.... ( think Battle of the Bulge type stuff)
Ludere Vincere

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Low cloud and gv's
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
I'm sure AH can do that; I'm almost positive I've already seen clouds reach the ground.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
i've seen heavy rolling fog down to ground level...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
i've seen heavy rolling fog down to ground level...

Used to do it in scenarios sometimes I have not seen it in the MA. I think there was a problem on some FE's when cloud touched land....... not sure now.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
Used to do it in scenarios sometimes I have not seen it in the MA. I think there was a problem on some FE's when cloud touched land....... not sure now.

I recall about a month after the new clouds came out. There was a map where this port had a dense 'fog'. It actually didn't hurt my frame rates at all (on my dirt old machine), it was the only base in the area that had this 'fog'.

Personally, would love to see WEATHER in aces high in the future (probably in a few years), but would be cool to see/have nonetheless.

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
come on Tilt, shake the old cabeza a little. don't you remember when we had the 2 lw arenas and htc introduced clouds and rolling fog banks?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
I recall about a month after the new clouds came out. There was a map where this port had a dense 'fog'. It actually didn't hurt my frame rates at all (on my dirt old machine), it was the only base in the area that had this 'fog'.

Personally, would love to see WEATHER in aces high in the future (probably in a few years), but would be cool to see/have nonetheless.

it was smpizza, it had (has?) fog that rotates from port to port

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
Low cloud banks floating around the map would bring an interesting and realistic element to the game, I think.  +1
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Low overcast over tank town would be nice.  Low enough overcast and it would make aircraft use difficult.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
I actually had low cloud cover built into CraterMA's TT at one stage, permanent clouds starting at 1.5k above each V base. Then HTC changed the cloud system. I have since submitted a new weather system for the terrain with heavy cloud cover over the TT area but I guess currently it would be too much of an FPS hog for many older PCs. Maybe it will get introduced with the next version of the game as I've read clouds are going to be redone to make them work better.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
I remember the fog with the old clouds! I remember on the pizza map we were 1 base from winning the war so our squad was going to the port to try and steal the glorious war winning capture from the green horde. We get to the port and there is a fog so thick that we literally can not find the base!  :rofl

I'm all for varying cloud heights! As of right now all clouds are set to 10K. Be nice to see some clouds down at 5K or lower for use deck fighters.  :aok

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »
Would love to have periods of the dawn or dusk when the fog sets in on Tank Town so thick that a tank cant be see until its around 100 yards. Hearing a Panther come growling toward you but not being able to see it and then slowly a barrel starts appearing through the pea soup fog should get your heart rate up. It"ll give a whole new name to GV Hunting. Would go well with the new terrain generator. I wish I could remember all the story my dad told of the fog in The Battle of the Buldge

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:00:20 AM by Lone82 »
Life is Hard, But it's even HARDER when your Stupid- John Wayne

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
I remember the fog with the old clouds! I remember on the pizza map we were 1 base from winning the war so our squad was going to the port to try and steal the glorious war winning capture from the green horde. We get to the port and there is a fog so thick that we literally can not find the base!  :rofl

I'm all for varying cloud heights! As of right now all clouds are set to 10K. Be nice to see some clouds down at 5K or lower for use deck fighters.  :aok

Clouds gave me the coolest, and most terrifying experience I have ever encountered in Aces High. I was flying at around 10k in a 109 when I entered the cloud bank, visibility decreased to roughly the end of my nose. As I flew out of the cloud bank I realized at roughly the same time they did that I had at some point wandered into a large flight of unfriendly co-alt Ponies.  :lol
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'