Author Topic: Windows 9  (Read 541 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 9
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 06:13:38 AM »
Well, China is trying to launch their new OS for their whole country.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131459-China-Aims-to-Replace-iOS-Android-with-National-Operation-System

Embedded spyware and content filtering is of course convenient.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Embedded spyware and content filtering is of course convenient.
So why don't they just buy windows 8 then and save the development costs?  :huh
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
That's because its on a surface.  Every critique I've read about win8 slams MS for trying to make people interact with desktops/laptops as if they were tablets.  No kidding win8 works great on a tablet, because the UI was optimized for tablets.  Forcing a tablet UI onto the desktop and laptops is what people are cursing MS for, and its why many people are skipping win8 entirely.  People LIKE win7, even people who are still pissed that MS took away and never gave back the button for "up one folder", because the UI works fine.

Fix what people actually don't like about win7, and they'd be treated like heros.  Roll in some tech advances under the hood, and the techies would praise their genius.  Make a desktop user pretend his computer is a ginormous tablet however...  WTF?

I agree that most Windows 7 users don't like 8... However, you can configure 8 to work like the traditional desktop. However, it's still very different from 7. Therein lies the issue. Our Corporate IT folks have began changing to Surface2 Pro tablets for Engineering and Sales people. These are replacing two-year old HP laptops. The general level of satisfaction is high with regard to function and ease of transporting. They very much like the high end tablets, but the whines about learning Windows 8.1 have been epic. Finally, they organized a class to speed up the learning process. It took me about a week to get used to the interface.... I like it because I can take mine into the test lab and set up anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:34:15 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 12:33:55 PM »
Ever going to learn?
Its not them that have to learn. Its the schmucks that absolutely positively HAVE to have the latest versions of everything that have to learn.

Im still using XP Pro. It still works and suits all my needs and will stay until I either buy something with a newer version already installed or I have no other choice.
Look at the money I've saved

You are preaching to the quire friend. I just gave up my 2007 Compaq Presario Laptop with Windows XP Premium Home edition for a 2012 Toshiba Satellite C655 with Windows 7. I'm right there functioning well and saving money with you.
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
Win8 is a shipwreck... I have it with the new PC and there are so many bugs. I don't suppose there is a way I can get win7 on it and not destroy all the data on my PC?
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:26 AM »
Win8 is a shipwreck... I have it with the new PC and there are so many bugs. I don't suppose there is a way I can get win7 on it and not destroy all the data on my PC?

Of course there is. Just back up your files and install Win7 on the computer. You'll need to reinstall all your software after that though and restore your files from the backup.

If you don't have a backup media already now is the perfect time to get one.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
They do! Win XP
Win2k
Win7
Screw one up, get the next one right.

Soo true
Its called MSD Microsoft style development
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 08:06:47 AM »
I agree that most Windows 7 users don't like 8... However, you can configure 8 to work like the traditional desktop.

Not really.  It still snaps back to tablet mode sometimes.  I tried win8.1 on a laptop that my Mom bought, and we tried every trick that made the first 5 pages of google search, and it still wouldn't behave.  Still needed some sort of arcane swipe gesture to see various things.  Couldn't find some installed programs unless we forced it BACK into tablet mode.  It was totally unusable, and the whole computer went back to the store because of it, replaced with a Lenovo business class laptop with win7 pro.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Not really.  It still snaps back to tablet mode sometimes.  I tried win8.1 on a laptop that my Mom bought, and we tried every trick that made the first 5 pages of google search, and it still wouldn't behave.  Still needed some sort of arcane swipe gesture to see various things.  Couldn't find some installed programs unless we forced it BACK into tablet mode.  It was totally unusable, and the whole computer went back to the store because of it, replaced with a Lenovo business class laptop with win7 pro.

Weird I havent seen the start screen even once after installing classic shell. If you fail to install replacement software for the built in crapware for image viewing, mediaplayer etc. then you'll be taken back to start screen every time you quit using the app. But that's only improper configuration of default applications, not that it can't be done.