Author Topic: host connection sucks  (Read 421 times)

Offline wiskyfog

• Copper Member
host connection sucks
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
Maybe it is my wireless, but it seems as though the longest time I play is about 3-5 minutes and then I get da boot, and it cycles over again repeatedly, any ideas? My browser doesn't skip a beat but the game is FRUSTRATING me.
The Alchemists-- "Always brewin up sumptin"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: host connection sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
More than likely you have a background process that's inturrupting your connection like an Adobe, Java or AV automatic updater or something of that nature.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
Does your connection pump on and off also out of the game? You won't necessarily notice it while browsing, since a new page would just take a second more to load during the reconnection, but you should be able to see it from the network icon in the Taskbar  - unless you're using win8 and the new IE applet.

Anyway, if it keeps dis- and reconnecting in cycles in all circumstances, the first thing is to power the modem off for a minute or ten. You may have to do this more than once. Another thing is to change the wireless channel to something your neighbor isn't using. If you can, test with an ethernet cable to see if it's your wireless or your connection. A wired connection would in any case be more stable for gaming.

And don't forget all the damage recent weather conditions have caused to the infrastructure. It won't be fixed in a day or two.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
I blame the wireless...  I had a "perfectly good" wifi router and a "perfectly good" laptop wifi adaptor, that by themselves worked "perfectly good".  Except that the damn laptop would disconnect and reconnect every few minutes.  I couldn't do a file transfer more than a few MB due to disconnects.  Changed to a new wifi adaptor in the laptop and it worked much better, I almost never get disconnected now.

Maybe try home powerline networking if you can't run a wire from the broadband modem/router to your computer.  I found some tplink adaptors on sale and they work great in parts of my house where wireless signal strength is low.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
Maybe it is my wireless, but it seems as though the longest time I play is about 3-5 minutes and then I get da boot, and it cycles over again repeatedly, any ideas? My browser doesn't skip a beat but the game is FRUSTRATING me.

http://portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"