Author Topic: Best for the game - XP or Vista  (Read 946 times)

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
Re: Best for the game - XP or Vista
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
I could argue with you concerning the "tripe" (which I did not say, btw)... but why bother? 

XP is fine for the game.  Security of your data is another matter...and it will get worse as time goes on.  If you want to use it on as the OS for a pure "gaming" PC feel free....but I'd be careful what other activities you perform on the machine.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
Vista has these nasty little circles all over it, where folks have "touched it with a ten-foot pole".   ;)

Microsoft has announced the end of Extended Support for XP on 14-Apr-2014, which means no more security patches.  Unless you have the budget to negotiate a special support arrangement with them. 

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=1173

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 06:59:21 AM »
Oops, correct drop-dead date for XP:  08-Apr-2014

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »
The best thing a Vista DVD is for, is to test out the destructive capabilities of your shredder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
The best thing a Vista DVD is for, is to test out the destructive capabilities of your shredder.

Now Skuzzy,vista isnt that bad,sure it took me 2 months to get it configured to work for me but once I got it squared away it's been a very stable machine.

Besides Win7 is just vista sp3.......... :noid

:rofl :rofl :rofl    Evertone wants to blame M$ but really it was everyone else who didnt bother to update the drivers before vista was released.... :rofl

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
There are fundamental design flaws, in Vista, which cannot be worked around.  Then again, why risk wrecking a perfectly good shredder on something so worthless.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
windows vista, evidence that microsoft did not believe they could mess up windows millennium.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
windows vista, evidence that microsoft did not believe they could mess up windows millennium.
* Hoplite still has a copy of Windows Millennium somewhere around here (along with every other version of Windows going back to Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups).  I also have copies of MS-DOS going back to 5.0...my older ones I threw out with my last 5 1/4" floppy drive.   I still have a 3.5 inch drive around here somewhere.... :lol

No idea why I keep this crap.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:02 AM »
* Hoplite still has a copy of Windows Millennium somewhere around here (along with every other version of Windows going back to Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups).  I also have copies of MS-DOS going back to 5.0...my older ones I threw out with my last 5 1/4" floppy drive.   I still have a 3.5 inch drive around here somewhere.... :lol

No idea why I keep this crap.
During my last inventory I decided not to throw away the 98 booklets with a valid license code. I also seem to have a couple of dozens of bootable 3,5" floppies including Win95 cd drivers and some hard disk tests. And I still have a floppy drive in my PC. It must be in our nature...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »
During my last inventory I decided not to throw away the 98 booklets with a valid license code. I also seem to have a couple of dozens of bootable 3,5" floppies including Win95 cd drivers and some hard disk tests. And I still have a floppy drive in my PC. It must be in our nature...

My son says I'm a horder.  I disagree...then tell him to not throw away that old drug bottle as I can use it to hold nuts and bolts.   :uhoh

It's a sickness...  ;)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
My son says I'm a horder.  I disagree...then tell him to not throw away that old drug bottle as I can use it to hold nuts and bolts.   :uhoh

It's a sickness...  ;)
No, not a sickness. It's the way to pay for his college and still have something else than your upper lip on your bread.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
 :rofl  i used to keep old hardware and software around, then i found the easiest way to get rid of all that crap you have laying around not really serving a purpose...move. if you only get a vehicle/trailer big enough to carry the necessities, you will find a lot of stuff that isn't necessary.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett