Author Topic: Installing a New Power Supply  (Read 408 times)

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Installing a New Power Supply
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
 Wife's computer died this morning.  Will not boot.  No fan.  No hard drive.  Just a blinking green light on the motherboard and the start button on the front panel blinks orange.  From what I've read on online from several different sites (Dell, Toms...) if seems like the power supply has failed.  My question is, how hard is it to replace the power supply and remember when it comes to computers I'm the type that is still looking for the 'any key'.  In other words I know nothing about the insides and have never worked on one before (I did replace a hard drive in my laptop but that was so easy it doesn't count).  Would I be better off letting a professional handle this.  The computer is a 7 year old Dell Dimension E520. I suggested to the wife it might be time for a new machine but she really likes this one and if possible wants it fixed.
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Installing a New Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »
Replacing the power supply is probably the easiest task inside the computer case. Simply open the case, unplug all power cables - notice the broad connector and the one with two pairs or black and yellow have a securing clip! You might want to take a picture of it before unplugging, maybe even print it and make some notes how the cables are routed and where they're plugged in. Or then not... Anyway, you can't plug the cables wrong without violent force!

Since it's a Dell, I'm not 100% sure whether the measurements are standard. At least the cables are much shorter than default for better airflow. If I were you, I'd take the old PSU with me to the local builder shop. They may have a second hand spare for next to nothing. If not, they can make sure you'll get one with matching plugs - there's been some redesigning during the last decade or so, modern power supplies having connectors for SATA disks and 4/6/8 pin video cards.

And of course the easiest way is to take it to a professional. Again, I'd prefer the local builder shop selling second hand items. They might let you look how it's done and the charge should be nominal unless they do some extra maintenance. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
Wife's computer died this morning.  Will not boot.  No fan.  No hard drive.  Just a blinking green light on the motherboard and the start button on the front panel blinks orange.  From what I've read on online from several different sites (Dell, Toms...) if seems like the power supply has failed.  My question is, how hard is it to replace the power supply and remember when it comes to computers I'm the type that is still looking for the 'any key'.  In other words I know nothing about the insides and have never worked on one before (I did replace a hard drive in my laptop but that was so easy it doesn't count).  Would I be better off letting a professional handle this.  The computer is a 7 year old Dell Dimension E520. I suggested to the wife it might be time for a new machine but she really likes this one and if possible wants it fixed.

If the power supply failed why do you have lights on?

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:06:46 AM »
With Dell there's always the danger they used a non-standard cable pinout on the ATX power connector. Please compare the color-coded cable pinout with the standard as seen there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Power_supply

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »
With Dell there's always the danger they used a non-standard cable pinout on the ATX power connector. Please compare the color-coded cable pinout with the standard as seen there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Power_supply

Dell and HP have both been known to do this.  Typically, they swap a power and ground lead.  They have also swapped the activation lead with a dead lead, so you cannot turn it on at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
I think that your Dimension E520 will accept a standard ATX12V power supply.  I replaced the PSU on a Dimension older than that one with a standard ATX PSU.

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
Power supply update:

First of all I want to thank everyone who responded. Your reply's were most helpful.  The computer is back up and running fine.  More important the wife is happy (happy wife, happy life!).  I took the computer to a local computer shop and they tested the power supply and it was bad.  They had a replacement at the shop for $45.  When the tech said he would install it for $10 and after reading here the Dell might be wired different I thought that $10 would be well spent.  And it was.  I don't know how much trouble he had but when I picked it up he didn't hesitate to mention that these older Dells didn't use standard wiring.  I hope he didn't notice the grin on my face.  Anyways, thanks again.  You saved me a major headache.  And who knows, when the wife is happy.....   :t

For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
Power supply update:

First of all I want to thank everyone who responded. Your reply's were most helpful.  The computer is back up and running fine.  More important the wife is happy (happy wife, happy life!).  I took the computer to a local computer shop and they tested the power supply and it was bad.  They had a replacement at the shop for $45.  When the tech said he would install it for $10 and after reading here the Dell might be wired different I thought that $10 would be well spent.  And it was.  I don't know how much trouble he had but when I picked it up he didn't hesitate to mention that these older Dells didn't use standard wiring.  I hope he didn't notice the grin on my face.  Anyways, thanks again.  You saved me a major headache.  And who knows, when the wife is happy.....   :t

If he didn't mention that when he took the job it was probably like: switch PSU, turn it on.. smoke. DOH! -> buy customer new hardware and try to hide your emotions when he comes to pick it up for 50 bucks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:52:47 AM »
Paying $10 extra for getting wife happy and shifting the responsibility of the job done on someone else's shoulders is a good bargain indeed!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni