Author Topic: Car question(s)  (Read 113 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Car question(s)
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
So a little back story. I had until very recently a very good Acura TL Type S - 2007 with a manual transmission. Fairly recently, within the last few months of its life it was going through batteries like crazy. I couldn't leave the car for more then 3 days before it was killed. Went through 3 batteries and finally called it quits and took it to the dealer, where they did a 2 week workup on it and found a few "shorted" modules - a Bluetooth module and a few others. Expensive little diddlyers to replace as well. It had 115k on it, a new clutch, brakes - a bunch of stuff, and I took the road to trade it for a CPO 2013 Audi S4 with a MT.

So my question from the maintainers is a few things. I'm used to running cars until they are dead - but in my book that means something mechanical, yet this was an electrical that did me in with the Acura long before I thought it was time for something catastrophic to happen (keeping in mind I rode a Honda civic till it was 235k in and became embarrassing). Is the new business plan for the electronic modules to last till 100k and then have a series of expensive strokes? It just seems like something really impossible to troubleshoot as a general owner to direct the maintenance.

On a side note - i've never had an engine with a supercharger until the Audi. Are there any special maintenance items that I should be aware of keeping in mind that my mechanical background is strictly aerospace?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$