Author Topic: P-63 King cobra & the French.  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-63 King cobra & the French.
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
Because it was mentioned that it would have to be perked.  not on performance.....but If it real life usage....Oh never mind.  :lol

Its real life usage makes it a bottom-of-the-barrel, when there's absolutely nothing else left to add addition.

The Boulton-Paul Defiant had more relevance to the war than the P-63.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
Because it was mentioned that it would have to be perked.  not on performance.....but If it real life usage....Oh never mind.  :lol
If the charts Widewing has posted are accurate the P-63 would be perked for performance reasons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
"A8 is fast on the deck and has one of the best gun packages in the game, not perked"

More than half of the planes on-line catch the A8 with ease, also the 20mm and 30mm guns have lousy trajectory compared.
Its only asset  is that no plane can dive with it.
Its totally useless 1vs1 dogfights.
At high altitude you solidly get out-turned and outperformed by 4 engined bombers in formation in AH.

Hopefully they perk the A8 very soon -  :lol

Well, the A-8 can't dive away from the F6F-5... They have nearly identical wing profiles. The F6F keeps much more control at max Mach. Both aircraft will reach Mach .81 in a dive, and in a virtual dead heat in dive acceleration. The difference is that the F6F-5 doesn't need trim to ease out of that dive. My tests show that it is one of the best divers in the plane set, possibly, THE best.

Recently, I've followed down 190A-8s and Doras in dives, closing at the end of the dive, to their pilot's dismay...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
If the charts Widewing has posted are accurate the P-63 would be perked for performance reasons.

I don't know that it would require being perked, but its low to medium altitude performance is a bit better than the La-7. Pretty much the equal of the Tempest. It's a low altitude beast, for sure. It doesn't have much of a gun package, and isn't much for Jabo use. Range is very short too. Because of those limitations, it may not need a perk. Especially if they model the -9 model or earlier.

Speed and climb below 20k are world class for the time....

With under-wing gun pods...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:53:21 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
Why is it only you and I seem to see the capricious nature of this argument?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
Pretty impressive top end on the E-1... What were the riffs b/w the 3, ww?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »
I don't know that it would require being perked, but its low to medium altitude performance is a bit better than the La-7. Pretty much the equal of the Tempest. It's a low altitude beast, for sure. It doesn't have much of a gun package, and isn't much for Jabo use. Range is very short too. Because of those limitations, it may not need a perk. Especially if they model the -9 model or earlier.

Given that the Tempest is perked, it's hard to argue why something with similar performance in the Main Arena environment wouldn't need to be, despite its limitations.

However as I already said, this is probably the very last aircraft that should be added after there's absolutely nothing else HTC could possibly model. It's barely a footnote in the war (so little of one look how much debate that's been stirred up over whether it even saw combat), and the only real reason to add it is to toss in yet another late-war monster ride.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:24:01 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
I have never been caught in dive in a A8 with a F6f to terminal speed, but that does not mean It couldn't be done.

Normally you don't have to dive against a Coalt CoE F6F since A8 on WEP is faster at all altitudes, and acceleration is better at combat speeds.

The Dora start to shake at 580mph, the A8 at 600mph so Dora's have a hard time catching the A8, but the F6F seem to start shaking at 600ish like the A8, maybe a bit strange since 190A8/D9 share the same wing.

Something is very suspicious with the A8 vs the F8 :
The A8 and the much heavier F8 have almost the same turning capabilities, only 14 yards differentiate them, and all the other parameters are the same for both planes (according to AH performance charts).

This makes me believe the performance charts for the A8 might the armoured variant, or a hybrid.

The armoured variant was close to impregnable to .50 calibre from front.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:31:19 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
I have never been caught in dive in a A8 with a F6f to terminal speed, but that does not mean It couldn't be done.

Normally you don't have to dive against a Coalt CoE F6F since A8 on WEP is faster at all altitudes, and acceleration is better at combat speeds.

The Dora start to shake at 580mph, the A8 at 600mph so Dora's have a hard time catching the A8, but the F6F seem to start shaking at 600ish like the A8, maybe a bit strange since 190A8/D9 share the same wing.

Something is very suspicious with the A8 vs the F8 :
The A8 and the much heavier F8 have almost the same turning capabilities, only 14 yards differentiate them, and all the other parameters are the same for both planes (according to AH performance charts).

This makes me believe the performance charts for the A8 might the armoured variant, or a hybrid.

The armoured variant was close to impregnable to .50 calibre from front.

Yes, the AH F6F-5 is slower. However, the AH curve does not reflect WEP above 5,000 feet. It shows the MIL power curve. In September of 1944, a captured A6M5 was tested against US Navy fighters by TAIC at Pax River.

The chart below reflects the F6F-5 speed curve as reported in the test report. The TAIC data is in green... Maybe HTC will correct the speed some day....

My regards,

Widewing