Author Topic: Security  (Read 596 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Security
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
I should have made this thread sooner but I'm having some issues with my PC now. It's still running XP and I don't want to upgrade (because I don't have the money). Microsoft Security Essentials is not supported anymore and I'm not an expert on software at all. Are there any good security programs that are still supported on XP that can help keep my system going?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
I've been quite happy with Avast Free, although it has been mentioned to cause issues - which I either haven't noticed, or have been able to take care of.

About the issues: I've witnessed Avast can quarantine a perfectly legit program as a virus. False positive, that is. Simply revert them from the Quarantine and put them on Avast's bypass list. You may also put them on the ignore list before you run into a program that won't start due to a missing .exe file. Just take care you are bypassing only fully trustworthy programs like AH!

Another thing is to make a custom install of it. The most important features are in the left hand pane and you can even safely uncheck the email scanner if you use webmail instead of an email program. The long list in the middle can be unchecked, as you may notice most of them aren't exactly virus killers. That would leave it about as lightweight as MSE but IMO a little more powerful.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
M$ announced they would offer Virus signature updates for MSSE one more year until April 2015.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
M$ announced they would offer Virus signature updates for MSSE one more year until April 2015.
I recently visited a customer with XP and MSE. MSE seemed to update and run as expected, but the symbol was red all of the time and it kept nagging that the system is not safe because XP isn't supported any more. How to notice a real threat if the colours say "danger" all of the time? "Wolf! Wolf!" cried the shepherd boy...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
I should have made this thread sooner but I'm having some issues with my PC now. It's still running XP and I don't want to upgrade (because I don't have the money). Microsoft Security Essentials is not supported anymore and I'm not an expert on software at all. Are there any good security programs that are still supported on XP that can help keep my system going?

I use ESET Smart Security.  It's very 'gamer friendly' and doesn't hog up a lot of resources.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
I use Avira. Its free, updated often and works well. Caught a couple things on my wifes computer.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:11:38 AM »
Best way is to stop using windows for anything but the must. Gaming and some work stuff basically.

All web browsing, internet banking etc. is best done on alternative OSes. Even gaming is getting better on linux, last week I successfully installed World of tanks on my ElementaryOS using playonlinux. 1 click install, it even downloaded WOT for me. My next step will be getting an nvidia graphics card because AMD drivers have still performance problems on linux.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:10:21 AM »

MSE is still supported until sometime in mid June IIRC.  If you check it's still running and being updated daily.

Also if you're still running XP there was a security patch for IE released over the past week or two.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »
The best solution for Windows XP vulnerabilities remains upgrading to a supported OS:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2154620/microsoft-patch-tuesday-gives-attackers-a-roadmap-to-xp-vulnerabilities.html

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs