Author Topic: Offline Drone Wish  (Read 394 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Offline Drone Wish
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »
Wish - When Offline drone fighters are the only drones in the pattern. Have a way for them the fly 275-350 mph.

The reason for this is I tested the current fighter drone speeds against the 1944 gunnery training standard at AAF training schools.

1. - the fixed gunnery training plane was an AT6 with an N-3 optical gunsight projecting a 70Mil or 65mph ring.
2. - the fixed gunnery targets were towed at 200-250 mph. Combat speeds were 300 mph or more.
3. - the manual tells students they will receive 101Mil 100mph ring combat speed info from their CO at the front. They got a few hours in P40 at graduation with 101Mil rings chasing 200-250mph targets.

I used a 70Mil 65mph ring at 1000ft. Right left lead averaging between 3-3.8 radii with the LCG enabled.

250\65 = 3.8 radii
200\65 = 3.07 radii

You cannot learn MA combat speed snap shot lead offline with the lead computing green cross because the fighter drones don't fly at MA combat speeds. For 12 years I've listened to the same observation that offline snap shots and gunnery timing doesn't translate into the arenas. While I've observed players constantly shooting late nibbling the rear edge of the rudder and elevator. Or simply mystified at how to hit cons in furballs other then by luck with snap shots. Just as in ww2, our game has naturals who make the transition from offline to online snapshots. The rest, especially the potential new subscribers, would have a chance at more online fun if they could practice gunnery with the LCG offline at MA combat speeds.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Offline Drone Wish
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
Wish - When Offline drone fighters are the only drones in the pattern. Have a way for them the fly 275-350 mph.

The reason for this is I tested the current fighter drone speeds against the 1944 gunnery training standard at AAF training schools.

1. - the fixed gunnery training plane was an AT6 with an N-3 optical gunsight projecting a 70Mil or 65mph ring.
2. - the fixed gunnery targets were towed at 200-250 mph. Combat speeds were 300 mph or more.
3. - the manual tells students they will receive 101Mil 100mph ring combat speed info from their CO at the front. They got a few hours in P40 at graduation with 101Mil rings chasing 200-250mph targets.

I used a 70Mil 65mph ring at 1000ft. Right left lead averaging between 3-3.8 radii with the LCG enabled.

250\65 = 3.8 radii
200\65 = 3.07 radii

You cannot learn MA combat speed snap shot lead offline with the lead computing green cross because the fighter drones don't fly at MA combat speeds. For 12 years I've listened to the same observation that offline snap shots and gunnery timing doesn't translate into the arenas. While I've observed players constantly shooting late nibbling the rear edge of the rudder and elevator. Or simply mystified at how to hit cons in furballs other then by luck with snap shots. Just as in ww2, our game has naturals who make the transition from offline to online snapshots. The rest, especially the potential new subscribers, would have a chance at more online fun if they could practice gunnery with the LCG offline at MA combat speeds.   

+1

My solution for the transition between offline practice and MA practice, is aim slightly further (obviously it depends on what is going on, acm plane type etc). 
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Tinkles, when will  you be back? Been missing our wirbls and 88 fest. :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
Bustr you can mostly fulfill this with with staged missions!
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:02:51 AM »
Most absolutely new players will be more interested in entering offline mode with drones already at the proper speeds to teach them MA arena speed snap shots. Instead of having to go through all the nonsense we force new players to suffer for our inflated veteran egos.

With the speeds adjusted in offline mode, when the player pulls up the LCG. The explanation for how much to lead will have a physical validation from the LCG.

For a 300mph con at -400yd on the red Icon, lead by 3 100Mil ring radii or a bit more. Something Morfiend can then validate for a newbie in the TA.

Slogging through installing and running offline missions, or creating them, will cause most new players to not bother. Just the effort of getting the LCG up and running is more effort then some want to bother with. Those people with money to spend who aren't the 5% of the player population who live here in the forums tinkering with the guts of the game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »
It would be nice to have offline fighters perform some basic full speed manouvres in a sequence, eg barrel rolls, aileron rolls, loops and immelmans also :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
I'm keeping this simple in the hopes that it can happen.

If you cannot train gunnery at the same speed you fight with gunnery, you will miss more often when it counts.

A long time ago Lusche pulled the over all stats on Hit%. Looked as expected, just like the AAF studies showed a minority of 8th AAF pilots were shooting down a majority of the Luft fighters.

Offline the drones are at speeds for training with a 70Mil 65mph gunsight. Online we fight at speeds for a 101Mil 100mph gunsight. Only a small percentage of talented players adapt in the game. Just like in WW2 only the naturals could hit anything when they had to "Kentucky Windage" the lead for snap shots. As in the game, most AAF pilots could only hit an enemy aircraft in shallow banking turns inside of 1200ft or at all. Not many players these days will give you a shallow banking turn.

In another post, I presented a problem from the PTO P-15D pilots had when they transitioned from the N-9 fixed 101Mil ring gunsight to the K14 gyro compensated gunsight. Early on humidity caused malfunctions, so the pilots had to fall back on the 70Mil fixed ring projected reticle. It caused them to miss shots they used to hit with the N-9 101Mil fixed ring gunsight.

I'm hoping this is the same kind of simple tool upgrade as was possible with the target command. It's become an excellent Training aid for Kingpin's gunnery class if you watch the films. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing