Author Topic: RC Help  (Read 1295 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: RC Help
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »
My daughter today says she wants a remote control plane. We've had dual helicopters for breaking stuff in the house so she has interest.  I had one as a kid and destroyed it 6 seconds into fight.  Present day I still have the gumption to get another.

I live in the boonies and have plenty of space for a mowed runway. My question is what plane should I get that will take off on a grass strip, take some tough landings and give us the opportunity to play without investing a fortune and being pretty much turn key.

I once saw a RC plane that looked like a super cub, it was fairly simple, electric, good range. I can't remember what brand but it seemed ideal for what I want. I'm open to ideas but I'm not trying to impress anyone just something to start and play with.
:airplane:   Not sure if they are still around, but the best for what you are looking for is a "Telemaster"! Has about a 60 inch wingspan and will fly with a 0.45 engine just fine and is very slow flying, taking off and landing. You count have four controls, throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder, just like the real thing and is a great basic trainer. The only down side is that you have to build it. It comes, or used to, in a kit and a monkey could put it together. If you decide to get one and start to build it, get in touch with me and I will give you some very helpful hints and pointers.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
:airplane:   Not sure if they are still around, but the best for what you are looking for is a "Telemaster"! Has about a 60 inch wingspan and will fly with a 0.45 engine just fine and is very slow flying, taking off and landing. You count have four controls, throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder, just like the real thing and is a great basic trainer. The only down side is that you have to build it. It comes, or used to, in a kit and a monkey could put it together. If you decide to get one and start to build it, get in touch with me and I will give you some very helpful hints and pointers.

The Telemaster was a fantastic plane in it's day, but, is likely a bit more than a new person would want to get into these days.  The best newbie planes today are a bit smaller, and electric, usually foam, for easy repairs.  I trained on an Eagle 63 back int he day (a contemporary of the Telemaster), but as an instructor for my RC club, I almost invariably recommend electric ARF or RTF planes.  Keep in mind, electric is become dominant today, with glow engines going the way of the Dinosaur.  Typically we are seeing electric in 60 size and smaller, with gasoline in the larger stuff.  I personally have no nitro any longer, only electric and Turbine. 

Also, kits are actually becoming hard to find!  It is very easy to get an ARF or RTF, but kits take some searching.  (unless you are into specialty aircraft, with low production numbers, such as Jets, Gliders, Pattern, etc).. and really a kit is only something to pursue if you enjoy building as much as flying.  THe ARF and RTF alternatives are much better if flying is your main interest....

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
+1 for the Horizon and Parkzone stuff for beginners.

As stated, the tricycle gear of the T28 is probably better than a tail dragger, OR you can go with a foam trainer with no gear at all - another good option, as landing in grass with no gear is simpler than any gear at all at first IMO.

Also, a good option for your kids - get a simulator, Horizon sells a decent one, and you can use the DX series Spektrum transmitters for both PC and for your aircraft.  Learning to fly on the sim on a pc my sound suspect, but I taught myself to fly R/C helos and planes with it, and now fly large electric 6 and 700 sized helos in addition to planes, all from self teaching.

Yes, you will crash, but I've only written one helo off out of the dozen or so I have, they are very forgiving now, especially with the AS3X stuff.  Foam planes are even more forgiving, so long as you don't have a power on nose down crash, you likely will be able to easily fix most damage (I have).